New Shop planning stages.

socoj2

So just sent off my plat and other stuff to an Architect, Hopefully putting on a garage addition on my house.

36 wide along the front 

section on the left is 12 feet wide by 24 deep

then 24 feet wide by 31 deep.

Needed 27' to park the boat..  i have a good 12 x 31 feet shop area for tools and such. i also have a whole wall on the other side i plan on putting the jointer and planer.

Next stop HOA =/

Congrats and good luck with the HOA. I'd keep the "shop" section as just storage as far as the HOA is concerned. They'll love for you to hide the boat, but they get sqeemish about shops. Sometimes worried about noise concerns. Just some experiences I had at the last house. I'll never live in an HOA subdivision again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its probably better than me wheeling everything out in the drive way as i do now...

They love it when i do metal work with a 7" grinder... makes the people in the front of the neighborhood REAL happy... (i live in the back)

While its going to be "attached to the house" its not really going to be i plan on making it really insulated anyway since i want to be able to work in the shop all year and i hate the cold, i hate working in a hoodie.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Woodenskye said:

If you could, I would put the boat where the truck is, it could stay there and then if you needed more room, just back the truck out.

+1

You could even locate the jointer & planer in the space between the truck & boat. Use drop cords from the ceiling & have them on mobile bases.

16 minutes ago, socoj2 said:

The boat is to long to go where the truck is.  and i cant push that back wall in front of the truck any further back.

Why can't you push the wall in front of the truck back?  I mean then the refrigerator for reference isn't accurate, because you would be blocking at least 3' of the door which kind of becomes useless.  You mentioned boat is 27' long.

If it was me, I think I would still put the boat where the truck is, but make the wall currently marked in front of the truck open, like a carport.  Then build another wall right next to it.  You could then insulate and condition the rest of the space.  If the front where the garage doors are can be seen from the street, the boat would be hidden.  I hope you can follow my logic.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Why can't you push the wall in front of the truck back?  I mean then the refrigerator for reference isn't accurate, because you would be blocking at least 3' of the door which kind of becomes useless.  You mentioned boat is 27' long.

If it was me, I think I would still put the boat where the truck is, but make the wall currently marked in front of the truck open, like a carport.  Then build another wall right next to it.  You could then insulate and condition the rest of the space.  If the front where the garage doors are can be seen from the street, the boat would be hidden.  I hope you can follow my logic.

The Front wall, and the 11.5' Wall are hard and set. they can not be moved. do to Constraints on where the rest of my house is located. Also. HOA constraints on Design. 

In the winter, i might park the boat where the truck is, but that means i have to winterize it and remove the platform and do a bunch of other stuff. that would make it not feasible for me to grab it and go out on the lake during the week. In that case i can get it down to about 23"

Also those are outside wall dimensions. with 2x6 studs and drywall. im going to lose another 13" so even though its 24 its really more like 23