Fine woodworking subscriptions

SawDustB

Hey guys,

I figured I'd ask here - if you get a fine woodworking subscription (regular, with the magazines), does that include access to back issues and their online content? I can't tell from their description if it does, or whether it only gives you online versions of the magazines that are already being delivered to you. I also see that there is an online only subscription, which explicitly says that you get access to the other content.

There are a couple of projects and videos that I'm interested in from past issues, but if I can also get the magazines I'd like to. I'm assuming more than a few here subscribe to them.

Thanks.

The magazine subscription does not include access to the online content/back issues.  The digital membership, which provides access to all the historical articles in pdf form, is a great deal.  They also have a DVD archive of all back issues, which is a completely different product.  So they have 3 different products:

1) Current Magazine Subscription

2) Online membership, which gives you access to pdfs of all historical articles

3) DVD archive, which gives you indexed access to all historical magazines.

2 and 3 are similar.  #3 (DVD archive) gives you access to the old magazines in their original forms, while #2 (online membership) gives you access to stand alone articles.   

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

Great, thanks Mike. So it seems the 14 day trial membership is available for option 2. I guess there's no reason not to try that first.

I have both. I love the magazine but use the online access a lot as well. If I could only have one mag and online access this would be the one. 

Just now, Chestnut said:

I want to say i saw on their site you can get the mag for $35 a year or both online and mag for $35 a year ... seems pointless to not get both unless you can get online alone for less.

You don't get the online membership (web access to individual articles) with the printed edition.

30 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Digital edition is NOT the online membership. They're not the same thing.

exactly.  "digital edition" is just a tablet friendly version of the current print magazine.   the online membership gets you access to the good stuff, the glengary leads, the pink cadillac, i.e the archives. 

• 1 month later...

Hey there. Just seeing this post. I'm certainly glad to have people signing up for the online membership to FineWoodworking.com.

I just wanted to chime in and apologize for it being so confusing figuring out what membership is what. It is something that we are well aware of here and we are working on it. Long story short, the online side and the magazine are currently routed through totally different billing systems set up years and years ago. Shortly we are consolidating everything and you will be able to subscribe to the magazine and an online membership at the same time and know exactly how much it will cost you. 

Mike pretty much nailed it above but if anyone ever has any questions feel free to email me directly at fw-web@taunton.com

Thanks,

Ben Strano
Web Producer
Fine Woodworking.com

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Ben - the new website is nice and clean, and I like that you used the design aesthetic from the new subscriber cover. It also seems like you killed a lot of the pop up ads.  If so, thanks.  If not, please do.  Those pop ups made the old site almost unusable :)

Honestly, we'll never be able to get rid of all of the pop-up ads. Thankfully they are capped. You should only get one per day if I remember correctly. Nobody is on the website more than me and I seem to get one per day. 

Ben,

The website is much better so thanks for that.  I'm glad to hear you are consolidating and repackaging the subscriptions.  I called last year when I was resubscribing and the person on the phone was a bit confused on the process too.  It would be nice if there was a "combo" price for dinosaurs like me who want the print, online and digital subscriptions instead of having to buy each one separately.

Keep up the good work!

16 hours ago, prov163 said:

It would be nice if there was a "combo" price for dinosaurs like me who want the print, online and digital subscriptions instead of having to buy each one separately.

You should be getting a discount on your online membership if you subscribe to the print magazine. If you're not check out customerservice.taunton.com and let them know. They'll hook you up... and if not let me know... we'll get ya squared away.

I'm in charge of content on the site so billing stuff certainly isn't in my wheelhouse but usually the customer service group will get ya straightened out right away.

23 hours ago, Ben@FineWoodworking said:

You should be getting a discount on your online membership if you subscribe to the print magazine. If you're not check out customerservice.taunton.com and let them know. They'll hook you up... and if not let me know... we'll get ya squared away.

I'm in charge of content on the site so billing stuff certainly isn't in my wheelhouse but usually the customer service group will get ya straightened out right away.

Hey Ben - some of us were curious about the timing of the new website launch - there was something going on in Cincinnati in that same time frame.  Just a coincidence, I assume? :)

Website looks great, and the podcast is even better with you and Tom (no slight to Asa and Ed).  You, Mike, Matt and Tom seem to have a very good chemistry.  Keep up the good work. 

On 9/24/2016 at 8:23 AM, Orbb said:

Hey Ben - some of us were curious about the timing of the new website launch - there was something going on in Cincinnati in that same time frame.  Just a coincidence, I assume? :)

I saw that! It was purely coincidental! We were actually supposed to release the week before. Thanks for your kind words as well. We have fun... sometimes too much!

19 hours ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

Just curious, what would be the motivation for Fine Woodworking to release their website on the same weekend 400 people attend a conference? I don't think many people would miss the talks because their busy scrolling through FineWoodworking.com, lol

Well, it sounds like it was a coincidence, but....

If I was a business that occupied a market space that was fairly narrow and defined, and as some say shrinking or dying due to an aging demographic (not that I agree, but just for example), I don't know that I would cede any ground to my primary competitor.  I would take steps to keep my name in front of my customers and would-be customers through all available means, just to remind them that I am still in the marketplace, particularly during an event that is sponsored by and focused on my primary competitor. 

A number of years ago, Coke sponsored nine cars touting their brand during the Pepsi 400, the 4th of July race at Daytona.  It allowed for the word "Coke" to be frequently stated during the race to break up the Pepsi monopoly.

BTW, it would have worked better if Jeff Gordon hadn't won driving a Pepsi car.

11 hours ago, Orbb said:

Well, it sounds like it was a coincidence, but....

If I was a business that occupied a market space that was fairly narrow and defined, and as some say shrinking or dying due to an aging demographic (not that I agree, but just for example), I don't know that I would cede any ground to my primary competitor.  I would take steps to keep my name in front of my customers and would-be customers through all available means, just to remind them that I am still in the marketplace, particularly during an event that is sponsored by and focused on my primary competitor. 

A number of years ago, Coke sponsored nine cars touting their brand during the Pepsi 400, the 4th of July race at Daytona.  It allowed for the word "Coke" to be frequently stated during the race to break up the Pepsi monopoly.

BTW, it would have worked better if Jeff Gordon hadn't won driving a Pepsi car.

I suppose. But with only 400 people in attendance, going through the trouble of hitting that specific launch day feels a bit like a fart in the wind. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say I heard absolutely no one discussing FWW's new site at the event. I'm not in the magazine business so I'm talking out of my butt here, but it just seems like it would be a complete waste of resources trying to dominate the hot ww news of the day.