Dovetail jig

mrrhode04

So I have been looking at getting a dovetail jig for a while now and I am in the process of saving up to get one new. Then I was online a ran across this one, I think I already now the answer but I would like to hear from some of you guys on if this is a good deal or not. Also for the people that own Leigh would you buy another one? I was looking on Leigh's website and I can buy a kit for $30 to convert this to a D4R pro.

Liegh DR4 Dovetail Jig - $375

condition: new
make / manufacturer: Leigh
model name / number: DR4

I learned to cut dovetails by hand, so I just never used this jig.

It has a 24" width capacity, dovetail bits (8° and 14°), straight bit 5/16" x 1" (all 8mm shanks), a 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer, an eccentric guide bushing, User's Manual, and DVD. With stand, locking casters. Brand new (never used), $375

i don't know what's in the upgrade to D4R pro but i would definitely get the vacuum attachment for it, it helps with chip removal and gives much more support for the router. i've been using one for years and Kev is right about referring to the manual, i usually just take a quick look at the CD and head to the shop. i think it's an awesome jig and will do many joints including box joints, found that out when i was reading the manual one day, great score 

I keep two routers dedicated with the two bits used, and set for 3/4" material.  It saves a lot of time.  If I'm doing a lot, like drawers and pull outs for a kitchen, it pays off, and no need to refer back to the manual. Just set the spacing you want, and go.

For a few in other thicknesses, I'll just cut them by hand.

I'll second treeslayer's opinon on the vacuum attachment.  It's well worth having.

I have the same jig.  Works great.  Manual is long but thorough.  After I got the hang of the jig I taped a few notes on it to help me remember how to use it and that (along with test pieces) is good enough to help me remember the steps the next time I use it.  I'll second recommendation on the vrs.  Hughe dust/shavings collector.  Otherwise it's a huge mess.  I thought about the upgrade but I'm happy with through dovetails.  I do have a PC dt jig that I can use if I ever want to do hb.

One tip I have though is make sure the router is completely stopped before you remove it from the jig.  Otherwise you may accidentallychew the fingers of the jig.  Maybe even yours if you're really not careful.  This especially true if you use the vrs because you trap the router between the jig and vrs and can't slide it out without hitting the vrs.  DAMHIK

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Have a wrist slitting razor blade close. You're gonna want to end it all after messing around with that thing for a while. 

i'm surprised you don't like it shane, its made in canada after all, maybe you need more time alone with it to get to know each other;)

i'm surprised you don't like it shane, its made in canada after all, maybe you need more time alone with it to get to know each other

I think it is great if you have A LOT of time to dedicate to learning all the ins and outs. Its sooooo finicky.

For how much I use it i won't master it before I'm dead....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah same here.  But I wouldn't wanna build a pair of blanket chests without it.

True. Its love and hate. Probably more hate. But after playing around with it for 39 hours and then routing a perfect set of dovetails in 2 minutes its all love.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

+1 to what jussi said, my jig has the wounds to prove it, let it stop before removing from jig

I've got the Porter Cable dovetail jig and it has similar wounds. It doesn't have the adjustability of the Leigh model, but it seems to include just as much ability to drive a man utterly crazy. Nice to know it is professional caliber, I hadn't realized! 

I make sure to prepare more than a few extra test and replacement boards before getting going with it. If you get one step backwards you wind up making some weird dovetail boxes that only come together like the number 5 on a digital clock and there is no way to close the loop... oi vey!

• 3 weeks later...