Travisher Alternative

Isaac

As a purely amateur WW on a modest budges, I often find myself in the predicament of wanting to take on projects but not necessarily having all the "right" tools. We all know there is more than one way to do things with our projects so I'm looking for a little guidance.

In the latest issue of Fine woodworking there is a really nice stool that my wife pointed out me, so I'm going to attempt to make it. I'm really excited as it is well outside of the realm of projects I've done before (primarily rectilinear box/cabinet/table sort of things). One of the tools used in the article is a travisher, which is something I wasn't familiar with before. It looks wonderful and like the ideal tool for the use it is being employed, however, googling around, they seem to run for over $150, which is a lot for me as I'm not really sure if this stool will be a one off or something I will repeat, in which case the $150 may be justified.

Any suggestions on hollowing out seats on a budget? I still want to enjoy the build, but for now, most dedicated hand tools in this price range simply aren't in the cards. 

By the way, you can get a peak at the stool here, though you need a subscription for the full article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/build-a-simple-stool.aspx

A slightly cheaper alternative if you're not hung up on using only hand tools...an angle grinder and carving disc can be had for less than a hundred beans...and you can probably find discs for cheaper but I wouldn't know how well the budget ones work.  You'll certainly use the grinder again, if not for more sculpting then a random DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC60TAG-6-0-Amp-2-Inch-Grinder/dp/B004X5NNGG/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1470847178&sr=1-4&keywords=angle+grinder

PORTER-CABLE PC60TAG 6.0-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Kutzall-Extreme-Carving-Disc-Tungsten/dp/B00EIO0T2I

51I5qLRdC1L._SL1000_.jpg

- OR -

If you told me you couldn't find a used travisher on ebay for less than $50 shipped...I wouldn't believe you. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

A slightly cheaper alternative if you're not hung up on using only hand tools...an angle grinder and carving disc can be had for less than a hundred beans...and you can probably find discs for cheaper but I wouldn't know how well the budget ones work.  You'll certainly use the grinder again, if not for more sculpting then a random DIY project.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC60TAG-6-0-Amp-2-Inch-Grinder/dp/B004X5NNGG/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1470847178&sr=1-4&keywords=angle+grinder

PORTER-CABLE PC60TAG 6.0-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Kutzall-Extreme-Carving-Disc-Tungsten/dp/B00EIO0T2I

51I5qLRdC1L._SL1000_.jpg

That is a great suggestion. I actually have that exact grinder, I hadn't thought of that at all. 

Hand carving it is appealing, but I'm going to ponder on this. It looks like the disc you suggestion comes in a variety of grits, is the course the way to go for this function? I imagine so, to remove enough material, but just checking. 

Does the travisher have another name? I did check on Ebay, but only found two postings, one was just an iron and the other for $126. I could take the iron and make my own, though frankly I'm not really sure what I'm looking at or how it would be constructed. 

1 minute ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

That is a great suggestion. I actually have that exact grinder, I hadn't thought of that at all. 

Hand carving it is appealing, but I'm going to ponder on this. It looks like the disc you suggestion comes in a variety of grits, is the course the way to go for this function? I imagine so, to remove enough material, but just checking. 

Correct you could just do it with two grits and then hand sand or scrape the finish. also if those cost too much you can get flap disks for the grinder. they are cheaper. but the wood grinding head is a lot faster and more fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Wright said:

Correct you could just do it with two grits and then hand sand or scrape the finish. also if those cost too much you can get flap disks for the grinder. they are cheaper. but the wood grinding head is a lot faster and more fun.

It does sound like fun!

40 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

I have no personal experience with the Kutzall discs because I've always used the Arbortech Turboplane

https://www.amazon.com/Arbortech-IND-FG-400-Turbo-Plane/dp/B008NA2IJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470849941&sr=8-1&keywords=arbortech+turboplane

71B6bvG9feL._SL1000_.jpg

and its crazy older cousin

https://www.amazon.com/Arbortech-IND-FG-200-Industrial-Pro-Kit/dp/B003DPX4HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470850062&sr=8-1&keywords=arbortech+industrial+woodcarver

Replacement Industrial Cutter Head

But I've seen Marc use the Kutzalls so I'm sure they work fine.  I bet they throw a ton of dust though.  Respirator, fo sho.

22 minutes ago, Barron said:

The turbo plane works great, but is fairly pricy. 

Ha yes, it actually approaches or exceeds the cost of the travisher...

I have no doubt both of these tools are useful and fun to use, hope i can get a chance to use them sometime.

1 hour ago, micks said:

If you *really* want to save money, Eric's idea but using a HF 4-1/2" grinder (instead of the PC) that can be had on sale for less than $10 would get you going. Not the same quality, but also not the same $$! 

I think the OP stated he already had the PC grinder. I've nerd tried any HF tools, but I've been tempted by a few. 

HF has a kutzall-type disk, as well as the king arthur deathtraps (chainsaw wheels).

Another hand tool option I've seen St. Roy use is called a Scorp. Something else to look for on ebay.

I have the HF grinder with the paddle switch, and a kutzall brand wheel. Works great for sculpting wood, but I don't believe any dust collection system on the market can keep up with the cloud it generates. Use it outside, and wear a mask.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...