Face Frame Blanket Chest

wojo2

I have been wanting to make a blanket chest for our bedroom for a number of years, but never really saw a design I liked. I came across this design in Fine WoodWorking March/April 1998 issue and decided to use this as a basis for my blanket chest. This is the first really serious woodworking project I have undertaken, using hardwoods.

From a design perspective, I liked the interplay of the two different types/colors of wood. The each seemed to compliment each other. I also liked the face frame type of design, allowing shadow lines on the front panels. What I did change is that I broke up the large front and back panels into two smaller panels. I felt that a single large piece of maple for the front/back would overwhelm the piece. Also, by adding the vertical stile, I believe it will help to minimize the impact of any wood movement. All the panels are free floating into a 3/8" dado cut into the middle to the rails/leg ends.

The finish is a combination of General Finish's Seal-A-Cell (3 coats) and then overcoated with General Finishes'Are-R-Seal (3 coats).

I had applied the finish with a sprayer, sanding between each coat.

I estimate that I probably spent around 200 hours building this chest. I learned more than a few things along the way, (fixing several mistakes) but enjoyed it immensely. It now resides at the foot of our bed.

All comments/observations welcome.

Earl Wojo2

post-841-0-22332200-1293904813_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-51054700-1293904824_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-83854000-1293904838_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-30199900-1293904865_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-93578100-1293904906_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Earl,

Nice work. The chest looks well made. I like the last picture of your joinery. Careful layout always pays off!

Interesting choice to break up the front and back panels. Good for you for taking the design into your own hands. However, I find it a little visually unsettling having two panels. I think one or three would have worked better. I do like the curves at the ends of the top very much. And your finish looks very nice.