TWW outdoor farmhouse table

mkrusen

Table looks great. Question about the domino usage. One, do you have the 500 or 700? Hopefully the 500, because that is most applicable to my question...  I assume you used the 10mm tenon stock, but did you feel like this was big enough and deep enough? The depth is what usually concerns me on the 500 with thick timber construction such as this table. Interested in how applicable the 500 is for larger pieces. 

I have double stacked 8mm dominos in 8/4 stock and gotten great strength in a 5" wide joint using 4 tenons (2 rows X 2 high) roughly 8 mm apart vertically.

I think if you go over 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" thick stock 10 mm dominos would be plenty strong double stacked. In really soft woods you might wish for a deeper mortice but 1 3/32 (28mm) is plenty in most hardwoods .

image.jpeg 

pic from my "Huge mahogany coffee table " Project Journal.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Table looks great. Question about the domino usage. One, do you have the 500 or 700? Hopefully the 500, because that is most applicable to my question...  I assume you used the 10mm tenon stock, but did you feel like this was big enough and deep enough? The depth is what usually concerns me on the 500 with thick timber construction such as this table. Interested in how applicable the 500 is for larger pieces. 

Yes I used the 500. Steve's suggestion is a very good one. I did two 10mm dominos side by side, but did not double stack. Probably should have, but I'm not too worried about it. That table design has a lot of strength with all the cross bracing and it felt very solid during the dry assembly. I think this is a good example of where the function of the piece can dictate the design and build process. All of the kids are out of the house. I'm 25 and my two step-siblings are in college. The table will typically seat just my dad and stepmom or the occasional friends over for dinner. Holiday get togethers once in a while is the most abuse it'll take so I feel confident it will hold up fine with the single stacked dominos.

• Like 1

Well done sir.  The table looks good in its home.  I can't believe your stepmom doesn't like the look of it as is...you know, all rustic and trendy.  Anyway, good on your pops for slappin' her sideways.

Oh, and nice bench.  Where's the rest of it? :blink:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Well done sir.  The table looks good in its home.  I can't believe your stepmom doesn't like the look of it as is...you know, all rustic and trendy.  Anyway, good on your pops for slappin' her sideways.

Oh, and nice bench.  Where's the rest of it? :blink:

Thanks! Haha yeah I built this table for Mother's Day 2015. I was working my Roubo then and my dad requested the table about a month before mother's day. My lumberyard had to ship in the cedar so by the time I got it I only had about two weeks to build. Fortunately, I had the the top slabs done and the tail vise installed so at least I got to use that. Finished the Roubo last May. Here are a few pics.

Roubo 3.jpgRoubo 2.jpgRoubo 5.jpg

15 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Stepmom may not be done with your table..Keep an eye on it.

Yeah my dad has ensured me that if she tries to mess with the table then it will be given back to me and she can buy one from Pottery Barn.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Nice bench.  @Eric. what do you think of the spalted maple on the bottom shelf? :)

Funny story there. I had gone to the lumberyard to grab a single board of spalted maple for a specific project. A worker there saw me and said "I have a big bundle of that back in the racks if you want a much better price." I went to look and it was all ambrosia maple. I shook my head a bit and then bought both the spalted maple board and the bundle of ambrosia. The ambrosia bundle was all S4S at a solid 1", all 8' long, and some 10"+ wide boards. About 60bf for $95.

7 hours ago, mkrusen said:

Here is the outdoor farmhouse table I made for my father and step-mother. They live on a horse farm in Pennsylvania and this sits in a covered porch overlooking the back pastures. Perfect location for it. Western red cedar, 108" long by 44" wide. Comfortably seats 8, could probably squeeze in 12 if you were desperate and really liked the people you're eating with.

Here's the rough lumber.

What part of PA! I'm in PA also. Table looks great! Nice job!