Restaining exotic hardwood

bbbbbbb40

I have a Brazilian Cherry floor that was damaged and restained with linseed oil (Monocoat). 4 months later it is still not dry. I have rubbed it many times with damp paper towels and it keeps coming off.

1) Am I guessing correctly that I cannot put shellac over it to seal this in? If I sand it down, I will lose the stain color and shellac is clear.

2) Is there any environmentally friendly solutions I can use to restain and finish a tough-to-stain oily Brazilian cherry floor? I have two little dogs who lick things off the floor and am concerned about harmful chemicals.

Thanks,
Steve

I have used monocoat.  The product I used was a 2 part product - an oil/wax blend and a hardener.   Did yours come with a hardener?  If you used Monocoat 2c and did not add the hardener it will never dry. 

Was the floor originally finished with monocoat and you are just touching it up?

If not, did you completely sand away the old finish before applying the monocoat.  The monocoat will only work if it can absorb into bare wood.  If you put it on top of a different finish it will just sit there and take forever to dry.