Mobile toolbox

shaneymack

Are you going to paint it green and put Festool on the side? Or for security are you going to put harbor freight on the side?

Nah. I was thinking of painting some of the interior festool colours but definitely nothing in the outside.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Jokes aside that's a nice rig you've got there.

Thanks man! I'm hoping it will last me a loooong time. This one is made here in Quebec and the entire frame is fully galvanised. All the hardware and lock are aluminum as well as the roof and walls. I hope to still have this thing in 15 years. Most guys replace their standard steel trailers ever 5 years on average.

4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I bought the trailer and my company is paying for everything that will be inside it (tools, materials, electrical) They also pay for the truck and gas so its a fair deal.

I still haven't completed the design but it will have space for 30-40 systainers and a bunch or drawers and all sorts of nooks and crannies for my stabila levels, festool tracks etc

Wait.. your company agreed to pay for 30-40 systainers... did they know they were agreeing to the price of a tesla just in those? 

• Like 2

Paint it white inside ! You need all the reflective surface you can get. Trying to find that certian size screw even with lighting shadows end up hiding things. I just have plywood walls in my step van and will probably never get around to unloading to paint the walls . Are you going to install an alarm system ?

Looks like a nice new toy !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Super cool, Shane!  I can't wait to see how you configure it!  Seems to be pretty low to the ground, I imagine that'll be helpful.  What's the head clearance like inside?

It does sit a little lower than a standard trailer. This one is outfitted with Dexter axles instead of leaf springs. Much smoother ride, indeoendent suspension and it sits a little lower because if it. 

I will probably build a little step to help with getting in and out. A ramp door was an option but seems like a pain in the butt. 

Inside clearance is 80" I got extra height cause I'm a hair over 6-4" with work boots on. 

8 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Wait.. your company agreed to pay for 30-40 systainers... did they know they were agreeing to the price of a tesla just in those? 

Well not exactly. I told the VP how much $ I would need to make this a legit rolling workcenter of efficiency and she said, "no problem, great idea. And you can use it for your side jobs thats great." She also said when I use the trailer on company time I should bill her above my regular salary for the use of my trailer. I said no , thats just ridiculous. They are, really, really good to me. 

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Paint it white inside ! You need all the reflective surface you can get. Trying to find that certian size screw even with lighting shadows end up hiding things. I just have plywood walls in my step van and will probably never get around to unloading to paint the walls . Are you going to install an alarm system ?

Looks like a nice new toy !

I thought of this, Steve. BUT when I am done, there shouldn't be a lot of walls showing. Maybe I will have my painter paint what I build. Im Still thinking. Ive been drawing out different plans all day long. I want to get it right the first time. I will have tools in there to do pretty much ALL construction tasks so its a lot of tools and a lot of oddly shaped things that I don't want ending up in the middle isle. When i had my Savanah van, There was ALWAYS crap in the middle and it drove me nuts. Not this time...

Painting the shelves , racks etc and the ceiling would work. Alarm would be smart too, or is there a shortage of sticky fingers in Canada ?

Is it always going to be taken with you or will it get left on jobsites ? Alarm w cell & GPS and a seperate battery for lights & alarm is the way I would go.

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Painting the shelves , racks etc and the ceiling would work. Alarm would be smart too, or is there a shortage of sticky fingers in Canada ?

Is it always going to be taken with you or will it get left on jobsites ? Alarm w cell & GPS and a seperate battery for lights & alarm is the way I would go.

Yeah, an alarm is a good idea. Im not sure I will leave it on a job site though and Im not very worried about it here at my house. I have been thinking of the best way to go about securing this thing. I guess an audible alarm would definitely help spook a thief. Do you know of any specific alarms that are for this purpose?

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Shane, nice trailer, you should look at Ron Paulks videos on YouTube, he fit out the same v nose trailer, might give you some good ideas.  And you know the deal, we like in progress pictures.

Thanks Bryan. I watched all of Rons videos. I will steal some of his ideas for sure. I do not think his way is the most efficient for what I do. He puts all his tools loose in cubbies in the trailer. That means you have to carry them in one or two at a time. I want to have most most stuff in Systainers and be able to load them up on my sys roll. I will have systainers organized by task also. So if I'm going into a job to do finishing, i load up the systainer with my mini senco compressor, my nail gun+nails systainer, vector, and others pertaining to finishing and roll it in. I think Rons way can make you do more trips than necessary back to the truck. 

19 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Yeah, an alarm is a good idea. Im not sure I will leave it on a job site though and Im not very worried about it here at my house. I have been thinking of the best way to go about securing this thing. I guess an audible alarm would definitely help spook a thief. Do you know of any specific alarms that are for this purpose?

Our job trailers had alarms with batteries and cellular connectivity. It may not keep your stuff safe as much as let you know when it has been compromised so authorities can respond in timely fashion. A horn might discourage someone in a neighborhood, but for the first house in a development horns can be silenced. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Thanks Bryan. I watched all of Rons videos. I will steal some of his ideas for sure. I do not think his way is the most efficient for what I do. He puts all his tools loose in cubbies in the trailer. That means you have to carry them in one or two at a time. I want to have most most stuff in Systainers and be able to load them up on my sys roll. I will have systainers organized by task also. So if I'm going into a job to do finishing, i load up the systainer with my mini senco compressor, my nail gun+nails systainer, vector, and others pertaining to finishing and roll it in. I think Rons way can make you do more trips than necessary back to the truck. 

Good point about making multiple trips.  I'm sure you already searched the fog because a lot have done good storage for systainers in trailers and in ford transits or similar.  If I did site work I would definetly do the Paulk work bench, but the mft would take up less space.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Good point about making multiple trips.  I'm sure you already searched the fog because a lot have done good storage for systainers in trailers and in ford transits or similar.  If I did site work I would definetly do the Paulk work bench, but the mft would take up less space.

Not so much on the FOG. Do have any links from there that you can share?

I thought of the Paulk workbench but that is just too massive. Im sure there are few guys out there actually using a 4x8 workbench on a job site. I have an mft and plan on getting one more to connect to that one if I ever need a larger surface to work on. His table is just too huge to use at a clients house. The only way that work bench works is if you turn their garage into you work shop, which i think Ron does. A lot of my side work is basements so It would be hell to try and get those two big 2x8' worktables downstairs. 

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Not so much on the FOG. Do have any links from there that you can share?

I thought of the Paulk workbench but that is just too massive. Im sure there are few guys out there actually using a 4x8 workbench on a job site. I have an mft and plan on getting one more to connect to that one if I ever need a larger surface to work on. His table is just too huge to use at a clients house. The only way that work bench works is if you turn their garage into you work shop, which i think Ron does. A lot of my side work is basements so It would be hell to try and get those two big 2x8' worktables downstairs. 

I will see if I can find a couple links, I don't bookmark them since I don't have a trailer or Van.

• Like 1

I will see if I can find a couple links, I don't bookmark them since I don't have a trailer or Van.

Lol, right. Well if you can find something send it my way. Id appreciate that. I've just been doing research on Contractor talk. Haven't thought of the FOG.

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Lol, right. Well if you can find something send it my way. Id appreciate that. I've just been doing research on Contractor talk. Haven't thought of the FOG.

Shane, scroll down until you see a video by Tom Gesmer, he had a heavy festool fitted Van.  I will look for others.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/workshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops/a-trailer-to-work-from-or-kit-out-a-van-as-a-mobile-shop/msg355613/#msg355613

there is also a mobile workshop section.

Shane, scroll down until you see a video by Tom Gesmer, he had a heavy festool fitted Van.  I will look for others.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/workshops-and-mobile-vehicle-based-shops/a-trailer-to-work-from-or-kit-out-a-van-as-a-mobile-shop/msg355613/#msg355613

there is also a mobile workshop section.

Cool ! Thanks Bry !