miter saw dust collection hood

duckkisser

so I spent the week working on my shop rearranging and cleaning things up.  I also got a new miter saw.  its a ridged miter saw which is a huge upgrade from my old saw. the nice thing about this saw is I can fit a 2" hose to the back instead of the 1.5 that I cant find a hose to fit.

so I was planning on making a dust hood to put on the back.  and I have figured out two different styles that I think will work. 

first is a angled dust collection like this I would prefer to have this system but I only have a 1.5 hp dust collector and I am concerned that it would be too weak a machine to work adequately.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/dustCollection.html

I was also thinking of mounting a funneled box on the back of my bench with a hood feeding into the box and then have my dust collection at the bottom of the box.  then having gravity feed the dust into my dust collection.  which do you think would be better.

also I have seen a few hoods with a  plastic cover in the front that keep the extra wood get thrown out the front of the machine.  they remind me of the plastic they put in front of industrial freezer doors to keep the cold in. anyone know what they use?

• Like 1

Move enough air, and you can catch it all.  Here's mine that works great.  3hp DC.  6" duct out the bottom.  The DC will handle tablesaw, jointer, and this with no blast gates.  We use it inside houses, and not dust anywhere.  I built it as a quick prototype, and never had to change anything.mitersawDC 001 (640x480).jpgmitersawDC 003 (640x480).jpgmitersawDC 002 (640x480).jpgmitersawDC 005 (640x480).jpg