My first sword

Unknown craftsman

One of my side hobbies is knives. I have never sharpened a sword wow what a nice two handed sword.

It had never been sharpened so think I may have been a training sword. It was in a storage unit that had to be cleaned out.

I was very lucky to get it.

Not really sure who made it .

Not sure if you guys like knives?

Heres a before and after.

What do you guys think.

Aj

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I make hunting knives when I don't have a wood project or I just want a change of pace.  I have never had an interest in swords, but do understand the attraction.  That looks like a cool addition to any collection!  How did you clean and sharpen it?

To clean the blade I used a little bit of rust remover.

The blade seems to be a carbon steel.So I was able to file it in my saw vise.Tommorw I'm going to blend the heel in more.The blade is 5/32 thick so it has a pretty big heel.

So far it cuts pretty good with a 30 degree bevel.My final goal is a nice Appleseed edge.Im glad it wasn't tool steel or I'd be out of luck.

Aj

• Like 1

Looks similar to a stage sword I've seen any number of places. We did Henry IV Part I back in the day, and the hilts were curved or straight depending on which side was using them. Loved loved LOVED doing stage combat training. It took real skill to do it well, because you have to be able to counter someone who isn't doing it well and do it without injury. Good times.

Can't do it now, though; I'd hurt myself just drawing a blade from a scabbard. :P

I love knives and other sharp objects. I've always wanted a real sword, like one made back before guns existed. I have a growing collection of machettes and knives. I stopped buying new ones because i finally have a few that that hold an edge for a long time and are durable enough to last. I never bought anything to display though if it had an edge it had better be usable.