Need some input

Rex Edgar

I need a few ideas. I'm mounting a commemorative plate in some walnut. I milled the rough lumber and glued two sections together to get the plate to sit recessed. The two halves are not yet glued, I was going to route a groove just below the surface and install a disc of glass to keep dust out of nooks and crannies. I am now leaning to omitting the glass, but have run into a block as far as mounting the plate without tacky visible clips and hooks. I was thinking of using hot glue, but I wonder if the glue lets go after some time. The walnut is in two sections, at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, I haven't glued them together yet. If I do glass that adds difficulty in finishing and then assembling, hoping that it comes out right. If I glue all the parts together and then mount the plate, it makes finishing much easier. If I use glass then I need to use three prices deep, which adds weight to the unit. What do you think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On August 14, 2016 at 6:10 PM, wdwerker said:

I would have made the hole in the front piece that was just smaller than the rim of the plate. By attaching the back piece with screws from the rear the plate would be trapped, yet removable . You can assemble it and sand the seam perfect then dissemble and finish the parts seperately .

Thanks for the suggestion. The subsequent plates were done with the method you suggested. The first one in the walnut will be glued in place and I'll probably use a safety wire through the plate's mounting holes as a safeguard against the plate coming un-glued in the future.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2