Detached Garage Shop Heating Solutions

Ryan Grondin

My shop is in a detached garage. I recently ran some underground conduit over to it from the house and installed a 100 amp panel to upgrade my electrical needs in there. Last winter, I had a small propane heater that I would run for a bit before working in there, and once I got moving it was comfortable. This year, I was thinking about possibly putting a few baseboard heaters, just to take the edge off here and there. I've also been looking at solar heaters etc.and looked at a combo unit, for AC and Heat that could just be cut into one of the walls... Also considering a de-humidifier. Anyone go through this process? Got any good suggestions? Thanks.

Ryan, I bought a LG, 18,000 btu combo window unit yesterday, after exploring different options. It's still in the box waiting for an ape to help me install it so obviously I can't give a review on it. I too have been using a propane heater to lessen the chill in the winter, but my main concern is the summer. Keep us posted on your choice.

• Like 1

We installed 3 LG mini splits in our house a year ago. This summer we've had at least two of them set to 68 degrees 24/7 and the third as needed. Our electric bill was $158 last month. My detached shop is heated by electric baseboards set to run as low as possible. The rest of the house is under floor radiant on an on-demand gas water heater. Our electric bill triples in January.

I'll install another LG in my shop before winter.

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Ryan, I bought a LG, 18,000 btu combo window unit yesterday, after exploring different options. It's still in the box waiting for an ape to help me install it so obviously I can't give a review on it. I too have been using a propane heater to lessen the chill in the winter, but my main concern is the summer. Keep us posted on your choice.

Thanks Coop! Is it completely self contained? I'm looking at a few different ones and some are self contained and others need a condensor installed seperate.

I bought a mini split. If you want to use it for heating you need to get a special one that can heat with a low ambient temp....  Most only heat down to 55 deg outside, I think mine goes to 13 or -13

I bought something like this:. https://www.acwholesalers.com/Gree-Air-Conditioners/GWH18KG-D3DNB1C-18000-BTU-16-SEER-Ductless-Mini-Split-Heat-Pump-Rio/31745.ac?catId=cat1028&mainCat=cat22185&subCat=cat1033&trail=68435:Yes:68439:Yes:1004:Gree:68436:12,001 - 18,000

Ive only been using it since March or April so haven't used the heat yet but the AC is terrific 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

I bought a mini split. If you want to use it for heating you need to get a special one that can heat with a low ambient temp....  Most only heat down to 55 deg outside, I think mine goes to 13 or -13

I bought something like this:. https://www.acwholesalers.com/Gree-Air-Conditioners/GWH18KG-D3DNB1C-18000-BTU-16-SEER-Ductless-Mini-Split-Heat-Pump-Rio/31745.ac?catId=cat1028&mainCat=cat22185&subCat=cat1033&trail=68435:Yes:68439:Yes:1004:Gree:68436:12,001 - 18,000

Ive only been using it since March or April so haven't used the heat yet but the AC is terrific 

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

This one is a LW1816HR, formerly LW1815HR. All contained in one big A window unit. Unfortunately, my window is a slider, so I have to remove it and frame around the thing.

Thanks guys.. 

One of these with a few baseboard heaters will probably be plenty to take the chill out.

I use one of these in my shop. In 0 degree weather my shop can get up to 95 if I leave it running

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXEZV/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000TK2SWO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=QTGDKVJMY4808D4ZE9K0

During the winter i set the shop to 60 degrees, during cold winters It costs about 60-80 bucks to heat the shop every month. Keep in mind that insulation is very important when it comes to shop climate control. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two Mitsubishi Mr. Slim units in my outbuildings. One is a/c only as there was an existing heater and the other is heat and a/c. Keeps it comfortable year round. I paid to have one installed and when I saw how straight-forward it was I did the other. I needed to find a 3" masonry hole saw and get a friend to lift the unit into place. I elected to use the European method and mount the outside unit on the wall about 4' high so as to be able to trim the grass w/o interference. Just need to clean the inside filters more than usual due to dust.

• Like 1

I use one of these in my shop. In 0 degree weather my shop can get up to 95 if I leave it running

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXEZV/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000TK2SWO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=QTGDKVJMY4808D4ZE9K0

During the winter i set the shop to 60 degrees, during cold winters It costs about 60-80 bucks to heat the shop every month. Keep in mind that insulation is very important when it comes to shop climate control. 

I have something similar in my garage. Works great. So much nicer than the propane I used to use.

I got mine on sale at fleet farm for $75. Sure it cost more per month to run than natural gas or a mini split, but I figure it would take at least 5 years before I saw a payback on either a natural gas heater or mini split. I won't be at this house that long. Just something else to think about.