Compound Angle Drilling

Isaac

I'm looking for suggestions on building a compound angle drilling jig to make a stool with splayed legs. My drill press table rotates about a central axis, which covers one angle, but I need to build a jig to cover the other angle. Just wondering if anyone has a good suggestion, or even a photograph. I've got some ideas but would love to hear from anyone who has had already done this before.

Thanks!

Rotate the part to be drilled so that tilting the table creates both angles. For example, you have a square stool seat, and you want the leg to angle out 7 degrees from both edges. Strike a line from center to corner, and align that mark perpendicular to the axis of tilt. Rotate the table to create the compound angle.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I was out most of the day and just catching up. I appreciate these suggestions, a lot simply than some of the ideas I was considering (involving some adjustable angle jig for the drill press. I might still build something like that, but I'll have to see if it becomes a common enough need. 

My current plan is similar to Beechwood Chip's suggestion, though I think I can get the block to have both angles by rotating the table and tilting it with a wedge before clamping it in my drill press vice. Then, I should have a square block with a compound angle hole, which will make it easier to clamp to my work piece since I will have simple parallel surfaces. I did a quick proof of concept test last night and I think it will work. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Llama said:

Awesome! Post a journal, would love to see what you're working on!

Nothing exciting.  DIY stuff, like shelves for the garage.  I'm helping a friend with a fiberglass hatch cover.  He's doing the fiberglass, but I'm helping with the forms.  We're using rigid foam instead of wood for insulation and to reduce weight.  I hadn't really thought about rigid foam insulation as a building material.  Cuts easily on the band saw and table saw.

• Like 1