Help even out finish....

Fxguy

At first I thought this was a sanding issue.  Then I thought maybe the glue was telegraphing through the veneer.  The pattern is quite irregular and doesn't really typically look like either.  Can you tell us more about how you prepared the surface and what product you applied and how it was applied?

120 is probably too aggressive for commercial plywood.  those veneers are presanded and thin.  Hand sanding with 180 is all you should need.  I think you orobably did sand down to the glue layer in some spots.  

Here is the other side....68e88cce5625e38d33e09874a2e53755.jpg

But it is sanded the same....

I don't think I sanded to through, here is a corner that I can see the thickness of the veneer...

c6f7013763513e05a77abba37a1df320.jpg

I thought it might be because the two of us were staining and she applied more stain in those areas where we overlapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be overlap.  Did you wipe away the excess? 

You don't need to sand all the way through to have problems with stain.  The adhesive penetrates into the veneer.   If you sand too much, you will hit the part where veneer is basically filled with adhesive and won't take as much stain. 

Did you pour the stain directly out onto the wood then begin to work the stain?

The GF stain is water based, so mineral spirits probably won't help. Try washing the wood with 80% Denatured Alcohol to 20% water.

Get a good scrub-brush and work with the grain. If that don't work, use a chemical stripper or hell, just go straight to the chemical stripper. 

You may want to dye the ply wood first to get a good base color. Then adjust your color with stain. Or try wetting the plywood with water from a spray bottle to dampen the wood then begin your staining. The water will help to prevent blotching. 

-Ace-

• Like 1

I did not notice it was a water based stain until Ace pointed it out.  Water based stains dry fast.  I think GF puts something in to help retard the drying, but it still dries fast.  Oil based stains dry more slowly and are more forgiving.  

Would a wiping stain be a potential fix here? I've used Old Master's wiping stains in the past and been quite pleased with the result. Because of the way they go on as a more paint like layer vs. a penetrating stain, I find I have fewer issues with splotches.

That being said, if a wood will readily accept a penetrating stain, I'd choose that route, since to me it is more durable in that scratches and gauges have to go deeper to expose anything below the stained layer.