Prescription Shop Glasses

chetkloss

I'm very interested in getting some shop glasses with lenses ground for my "multi-focal" prescription.  I have seen online a number of "wrap-around" shop glasses that look quite good but of course I've not found them from any of the suppliers I go to for my regular glasses.

Does anyone out there have experience sending off your prescription to a "shop glasses" manufacturer and if so, are you happy with the end product?

Thanks very much,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chet

Any respectable provider will have frames and lenses that meet ANSI specs.  Prescription safety glasses are a frame and lens combination.  Putting safety lenses in non-safety rated frames (yes there are unscrupulous people who will do that) gains you little and can actually be more dangerous.  The lenses should not shatter and the frame should not allow the lens to be push back into your eyeball.

I go with the largest lens I can get as I want maximum protection and visibility.  I do not consider safety glasses a fashion statement ;-))  Wally World may not have them but, any decent optical provider will.  It is a joy to not have to remember to put on eye goggles or worry about damaging my regular glasses. Have you focal distance set to what works for you in the shop.  This will not be your regular script.  I could never go back.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pug said:

I got my safety prescription glasses for about 100 dollars from my local glasses place.  They are the same ones used by GMC and other manufacturers on their factory and assembly floors.  Made by 3m.

I cant even get an eye appt for $100 LOL. My last pair of safety glasses (from rx-safety.com) which were bifocals with transitions were $179 the same thing from my local eye wear store were quoted at $467.

• Like 1

I can't help with a source - I got mine from my regular optometrist.  Here are a few decisions I'm happy with:

I got wrap around frames with soft inserts .  The guy called them "goggles" rather than "safety glasses", and said that they weren't OSHA compliant for safety glasses.  They are not swim goggles; there's some air flow, but they seal around my eyes and nothing larger than saw dust can get in the around the lens.  The inserts are removable for more air flow, but I don't mind them.  Removing them makes it easier to clean the lenses, though.

I got lenses focused at around 22" (arms length).  I figured I didn't need distance vision in the shop.  I got magnifiers on the bottom focused for close up.

I bought some lens cleaning cloths impregnated with an anti-fog agent.  And, I wear a sweat band on my head when I wear them.  I sweat a lot, and that's the only way I can keep them from fogging up.  I wipe the lenses before I put them on and that's enough.

I've used them with a circular saw and put my face right up next to the cut so I could follow a line.  Sawdust kicking right back into my face, but I was completely comfortable.

Of all the stuff I bought for my shop, I think those glasses are the ones I'm happiest with.  Weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I cant even get an eye appt for $100 LOL. My last pair of safety glasses (from rx-safety.com) which were bifocals with transitions were $179 the same thing from my local eye wear store were quoted at $467.

Yes, it depends on what you buy and if you need an eye exam.  In Canada, eye exams are every two years (used to be covered in Ontario, but funding removed by our greedy provincial government a few years back).  An eye exam is 80 dollars.

I have paid as much as 600 for one pair of glasses in the past.  For whatever reason, the prescriptionsafety glasses were quite reasonable.

• Like 1

When I ordered new glasses and sun glasses I ordered safety glasses as well. With insurance they came to over $300 (yeah, that was the week I spent $1400 on eyewear between my wife and I.) They had a lot of selection. I got ones that are vented, but also sealed somewhat to keep sawdust from flying in through the top. And they wrap around. 

I live in a small town - does anyone know of a good online source for prescription safety glasses (I have a current prescription). 

I normally get my glasses at Costco when I'm in the city, or a cheap online place, neither of which carries safety glasses. 

19 hours ago, bglenden said:

I live in a small town - does anyone know of a good online source for prescription safety glasses

On 8/18/2016 at 2:55 PM, pkinneb said:

I have used rx-safety.com twice now with good results. TIODS is right not cheap but waaay cheaper then my local eye wear store.

Bglenden, here is one on line resource that pkinneb mentioned.

On 8/19/2016 at 5:43 AM, Da Hammer said:

4. Side shields good idea

++++    In fact I would say side shields are essential.  
It always rankled me when Norm would point to his eyeglasses and refer to them as safety glasses.  It takes more than shatter proof lenses to protect your eyes.