That's a lot of walnut.

Ryan Grondin

2 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

How thin/thick are those boards?

3/4

2 hours ago, mat60 said:

I love wallnut and all but not crazy about this much on the walls..Just my  opinion..

Yeah it's overkill lol... with the steel frame for a glass panel and door, those are for bedrooms.. the bedrooms are all walnut too, except for one glass wall to the outside and one plaster wall. They were short some walnut and had the hardest time finding more..

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

How would you get away with that without expansion seams?  An 8' wall could move 2"...

I know they had it piled up in each area it was going to be installed for weeks.. Not sure how much that helps, but you're right, you would think that would be an issue.

Maybe the 3/4 plywood behind it helps? The joints have looked tight since day one. It was installed in early spring when it was still cool outside. But the house was heated by then... so it's probably been a pretty even temp inside... This is the same house that has those monster walnut butcher block counter tops in the catering wing.

Let me know when they remodel in 5 years. 

Interiors like this this are cool for offices or retail areas, but I don't know if I would want that much texture on my walls at home. It would agitate me. Plus, the glass walls to the bedrooms looks like dr offices. 

This peopel must have some special affinity to walnut, what is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

But most hardwood flooring t&g doesn't leave any room for expansion... How does that work?

The movement across a 5" board is so insignificant that the tiny gap between boards is more than enough to accommodate that movement.  A hardwood floor as a whole moves less than a half inch over a 20 or 30 foot span.  Your baseboards cover the total amount of movement through the seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pwk5017 said:

Let me know when they remodel in 5 years. 

Interiors like this this are cool for offices or retail areas, but I don't know if I would want that much texture on my walls at home. It would agitate me. Plus, the glass walls to the bedrooms looks like dr offices. 

This peopel must have some special affinity to walnut, what is it?

Guess they like the modern look. Not sure. It's a 30,000 sf home. It's a strange mix of design, looke like an old stone barn from outside, but it's modern on the inside.

View from one of the lofts..

IMG_6589.JPG

Looks like an amazing place to me.  Wood paneling of any species makes no sense in most ordinary homes, but when you have a huge place like that, you have way more latitude to get creative.  I think it looks awesome, and I hate wood paneling for the most part.  But in a contemporary/industrial kind of place, a big wood wall warms up an otherwise cold and hard feel.

• Like 1

The movement across a 5" board is so insignificant that the tiny gap between boards is more than enough to accommodate that movement.  A hardwood floor as a whole moves less than a half inch over a 20 or 30 foot span.  Your baseboards cover the total amount of movement through the seasons.

Yeah but what happens at each of the boards near the edge that are being pushed or pulled... They're still toe-nailed or face nailed into the sub floor, do the nails break or bend or something? Most nails won't give you an inch of latitude

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Yeah but what happens at each of the boards near the edge that are being pushed or pulled... They're still toe-nailed or face nailed into the sub floor, do the nails break or bend or something? Most nails won't give you an inch of latitude

The nails are driven at a very low angle through the tongue. In that way they hold down, they do not hold much laterally. The floor moves, but hopefully does not rise. 

The nails are driven at a very low angle through the tongue. In that way they hold down, they do not hold much laterally. The floor moves, but hopefully does not rise. 

Hmmm interesting I have never heard of that reasoning before. Wouldn't that mean you couldn't face nail any of the boards?

3 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Hmmm interesting I have never heard of that reasoning before. Wouldn't that mean you couldn't face nail any of the boards?

Face nailing is incredibly rare in hardwood flooring. If it is done, check the nail gauge. It is usually something very flexible. Also, check and see how thick the floor is. When you see it in wide plank flooring, the gaps are part of the appeal. 

23 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Face nailing is incredibly rare in hardwood flooring. If it is done, check the nail gauge. It is usually something very flexible. Also, check and see how thick the floor is. When you see it in wide plank flooring, the gaps are part of the appeal. 

That is only part of the story though, as the you can't nail the last few strips through the tongue. Any new flooring is installed with one of these:

pdx50c.jpg

You hammer that big knob and it fires the nail at the correct angle. The offset in the base allows it to rest on the subfloor and already layed flooring at the same time to make sure you are consistently shooting through the tongue. As you can clearly see, the tool takes up some space and when you get to the perimeter of the room, you won't be able tofire the last few nails this way. Even swinging a hammer and have driving the nails, there is a point where you can't generate the right force at the proper angle and face nailing becomes necessary. Look around your hardwood floor and you should be able to find that one side has face nailing in the last few boards. This will also tell you which side of the boards have the tongue vs the groove.