Incidental Boxes

Eric.

Nice work. So the last one is made entirely of cocobolo, and is the aforementioned "important project"? 

Mind sharing any details about hand-cut-DT process? Tails-first? Coping saw or fret or just a chisel for the waste? Do you mark layout with a compass, if not how do you select your pin / tail size? etc etc etc.

Also, did you round over the lid hole with a router, or by hand?

2 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Nice work. So the last one is made entirely of cocobolo, and is the aforementioned "important project"? 

Mind sharing any details about hand-cut-DT process? Tails-first? Coping saw or fret or just a chisel for the waste? Do you mark layout with a compass, if not how do you select your pin / tail size? etc etc etc.

Also, did you round over the lid hole with a router, or by hand?

Yes the last one is entirely cocobolo and is the aforementioned "important project."

My dovetail process...yes tails first, yes coping saw, I just wing layout with eyeballs and squares.  I prefer small pins so that usually dictates my layout.

The holes in the cherry boxes I just used a forstner bit and some sandpaper to soften the edges.  On the cocobolo lid I used a die grinder and flame-tip burr and carved it freehand into an organic shape.  There was swirling grain at that spot that kind of curled over into an O shape that just called me to do it.

Thanks guys!

42 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

Dovetails look great Eric.  Any reason you didn't take a smoother and get rid of the layout line? 

Sometimes I remove the lines, sometimes I don't.  I kind of like them on these boxes...not much else to look at.  But they never bother me.  I see them as the craftsman's fingerprints.

40 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

Those are some really nicel boxes.  Those combinations work well.  Love the use of coco.  What finish did you use on the cocobolo?

Everything was finished with Tried & True linseed & beeswax.  One coat and done.  It's my favorite finish for decorative items that don't need protection.  And it doesn't get any easier to apply. :)

Those look great. I really like the layout lines on the cherry almost makes it look like a backward half blind DT. I didn't realize they were intentional at first and i didn't want to say any thing. Now that you explained it i understand and agree it adds some nice depth.

• Like 1

Yeah I know leaving the marking gauge lines is a somewhat controversial subject...some people hate them and some people like them.  I fall in the middle and keep them sometimes and get rid of them sometimes.  Lots and lots of old museum pieces will show the lines...there's no rule that says you have to get rid of them...perfectly acceptable to leave them if you want to.  Like I said, I see them as the craftsman's fingerprints.  Something that tells you "this piece was truly made by hand."

What a great way to practice.  You get to knock the rust off and someone else gets the fruits of your labors; sounds like a win-win.  I like making boxes between larger projects.  I like your idea of using a small project like this as a testing ground for a technique one might be rusty on or not have tried in a certain way.

The materials are beautiful and your craftsmanship shows them off to their best.  I'll be interested to see what the piece is that the practice was for ;-)