3 Group 1 wins, and Best in Show!! on first weekend

Tom King

My Wife just called, and she showed one of our stud dogs, Red, to a Group 1 win this afternoon in a UKC show, and said he got a hard look for Best in Show but didn't get it.  A Group 1 is a pretty big win.  Pam is not a professional handler, but does pretty good.  Pro handlers are very strongly favored in dog shows.

This is the first show for Red.  Pam has taken him to two handling classes before this, for practice.  She had never put a leash on him before the classes.

edited to add:  Group 1 means he won the Toy Group, or the Companion Group, whichever they call it these days.  Group winners go in the last ring to be Judged for Best in Show.

That's great, Tom! Tell her congrats for me!

What breed is Red?

Havanese.   We've bred 7 generations of our own line over the past 20 years, starting a couple of years before they were accepted by AKC.  Our Daughter got us into them when she was 8 years old-long story.  Pam traveled the country teaching judges how to judge them, on the breed's Judges Education Committee, for the first seven years they were in AKC.

They are mostly Pam's business, but I live in the house with them too.  We developed a method of potty training them to wood pellet litter, starting at 3 weeks, and the puppies go to their new homes already potty trained.  They're loose in the house by 7 or 8 weeks with the other dogs, with no accidents typically.  We only have a few litters a year, and the waiting list is about a year long.  The boys stay fairly busy too.

Here's our dog website:       http://www.starbornhavanese.com/

check out the Picture Gallery page if you'd like to see pictures of our farm.

• Like 1

Congrats! My 14.5 yo vizsla is a champion (obviously earned in his younger years) shown by the breeder I bought him from. While I was just an owner willing to lend his dog out for shows on the weekend, I have an appreciation for the dedication and what a big deal it is to earn show success. Awesome dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome man.  I've been breeding miniature dachshunds for 20 years too.  Our current stud is A boy who is the 8th generation of our lines we held back. We had never had an interest in showing but recently (3 years or so)  we have been selling to quite a few show kennels.  We had two girls recently finish their CH. It's very rewarding. Congrats

Another Group 1 today.........and a Best in Show!!!!    All in all, a pretty good weekend for a 10 month old puppy!

The Judge today told Pam that she just came from judging the Havanese National Specialty, and that Red should have been there.  Pam didn't go because he was so young and inexperienced.  They might go next year.

She had taken him to a Handling class a couple of times.  Those classes are mostly to teach new people how to handle the dog, and what to do.  The teacher asked Pam why she was there after the first time around the ring, and Pam told her she'd never had a leash on him before, and thought he needed the experience of going through the ring routine.

I asked her last night if she was taking him back to the handling class, thinking she really didn't need to, and especially since it's an hour and fifteen minutes away.  She said she still had a couple of things she needed to work on with him.  I wish I could be there to see the looks on their faces when she tells them about his wins this weekend.  Most people, especially those who aren't Professional Handlers, would feel lucky just be able to get a Championship on a dog.

• Like 2