Forged in fire

Unknown craftsman

The new season starts this coming Tuesday out here on the west side.

Any forged in fire fans out there?

After getting my first sword and spending time obsessing on sharpening I'm all fired up.

Heres how I used a simple jig to draw file a 30 edge bevel.

Someday I would like to make a knife instead of buying one.

Aj

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

The wife and I watch forged in fire. She likes to say "it will keel" on every commercial break. Sometimes accompanied by her best attempt at an " I'm a bad@$$ with a knife" face. It humors me. Thanks for the heads up that's it's starting up again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sounds like my wife except my wife is making fun of me when I watch the reality shows.Surviverman,Naked and afraid.

@Woodenskye I also would like to see more of the fine work that some of the guys do.They seem to go from here's a block of metal now I'm heat treating it.Look how sharp it is.All in the space of two commercial breaks.Wow

Aj

I too get frustrated by how things are done on all of these shows in 22 minutes. But, we must remember, these are "Entertainment" shows not "How To's" . Most viewers would be bored to death with all of the intimate details of what it takes to make some things.

And we all know that money talks and viewer numbers are money in a sense.

1 hour ago, Rapid Roger said:

I too get frustrated by how things are done on all of these shows in 22 minutes. But, we must remember, these are "Entertainment" shows not "How To's" . Most viewers would be bored to death with all of the intimate details of what it takes to make some things.

And we all know that money talks and viewer numbers are money in a sense.

That's what I was thinking too.

I also wonder if some of the craftman are secretive with some of their methods. Or would like to keep their mystic with their Technique.

I feel that way about some of my woodworking techniques.

Aj

• 1 year later...

I realize this a dead thread, but this show is on my mind, as my wife and I love it. She's been asking for a similar woodworking show, but I keep saying the time frame of wood working is so different. I can't really imagine woodworkers making 3 hour projects, safely. It just seems like so much of woodworking quality and safety really require taking your time. Thoughts?

Also, in defense of the Forged In Fire format, it is an honest show, they don't do the annoying things of so many game shows where they drag out results through multiple commercial breaks nor do they do a lot of dramatic fluff, they tell you who won each round and keep moving on very quickly. 

I like the show and will watch when I catch it.  For more in depth content, check out Alec Steele on YouTube.  He shows most of his process, and explains it well too.  His uplifting attitude also makes his videos very fun to watch.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 10:12 PM, Isaac said:

I realize this a dead thread, but this show is on my mind, as my wife and I love it. She's been asking for a similar woodworking show, but I keep saying the time frame of wood working is so different. I can't really imagine woodworkers making 3 hour projects, safely. It just seems like so much of woodworking quality and safety really require taking your time. Thoughts?

Also, in defense of the Forged In Fire format, it is an honest show, they don't do the annoying things of so many game shows where they drag out results through multiple commercial breaks nor do they do a lot of dramatic fluff, they tell you who won each round and keep moving on very quickly. 

Well... Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler have a show that's coming out in January that has some woodworking...

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/177054/amy-poehler-nick-offerman-making-it-competition-series

Although the description talks about themed trends, so my guess is everything is made out of pallet wood and iron pipe.

I watch Forged in Fire just to kill time some nights... my son likes watching the show, and we try to guess who is going to win.   But I generally find their projects to be pretty low quality because of time and materials constraints.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, Minnesota Steve said:

Well... Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler have a show that's coming out in January that has some woodworking...

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/177054/amy-poehler-nick-offerman-making-it-competition-series

Although the description talks about themed trends, so my guess is everything is made out of pallet wood and iron pipe.

I watch Forged in Fire just to kill time some nights... my son likes watching the show, and we try to guess who is going to win.   But I generally find their projects to be pretty low quality because of time and materials constraints.

I've never tried forging, but I'm often impressed with they are able to turn in something serviceable in 3 hours time. It is also kind of funny when someone really blows it an turns in a crude turd of a "knife".