applying for a job at NASA

Eric.

So far it's working great, Frank.  We get Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS very clearly.  Oh, also channel 11 (for what it's worth).  And a bunch of junk stations that range from "HA!" to "what the hell is this?"  There's one station called "Antenna" and yesterday I saw episodes of McHale's Navy, Leave it to Beaver, The Partridge Family, Three's Company and Mr. Ed.  It was good for some laughs while I was in the shop.

The reception is outstanding for all the channels that matter.  There is a little pixelation going on sporadically on several of the less important channels.  Of course you live on the other end of St. Louis so your situation could be different.  My antenna is a 60 mile range model, mounted facing due east.  Yours I think would be more northeast.  But I'd have to look at the map of signal sources again to be sure.

Honestly, with as little TV as we actually watch, this was a long overdue change.  I miss some stuff, but I'm over it already.  Screw it.  Lots of better things to do than watch TV.  That's a waste of life.

Eric, a man after my own heart.  Nothing but free TV at our house.  In fact antennas are cheap so each TV has its own.  Yeah every now and then I miss seeing Myth Busters blow something up, but after a while even that got old.  

My reception in Chicago is great, with the exception of the CBS station that does not come through well on the smallest of the antennas.  

Right on.  Last week I found a website where you could enter your address and it would tell you the likely stations you can pick up with an HD antenna.  I'm well within range for the local news stations, and the news would probably be the one reason I'd want the antenna in the first place.

Most TV shows we watch, and there aren't many now days, we can find online.  Baseball games are covered through Sling.  I think this would be a painless switch for us.

If you're in the market for a TV antenna don't get suckered into paying big bucks because it says it's digital or HD capable. The carrier signal that the information rides on hasn't changed, only the information. So any good antenna is capable of receiving digital and HD. I've been working in RF transmission for almost 30 years and have seen some really bogus claims. Just FYI.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mark J said:

My suggestion is to get a big antenna.  It won't cost much more than a small antenna especially compared to a month of cable.  

I know Fry Electronics carries a selection on line.  

I'm not concerned in the upfront cost really, I'm more concerned on the placement of the antenna.  Our house is two story, so running one into the attic would be an ordeal.  Putting an antenna outside, even a relatively small antenna, is just sooooo 1980.  I figure I'm only about 20-25 miles from downtown STL, so I probably have more flexibility than most.