Blanket Chest - Wedidng Gift

bradseubert

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with how it is turning out.

@brendon_t I'll get a separate post going on the kiln.

@chestnut @k cooper. The finish is two coats of transtint vintage maple sprayed. A coat of zinser shellac and the arm r seal. I'm pretty happy with how the finish turned out so far. I hope the color is the same on the regular maple.

Good news.  My epoxy cured nice and hard.  I was alittle worried since it was my first time trying epoxy.  I was pretty happy with result though.  I see a lot more epoxy in my future.

Not much progress tonight, got some sanding done on the back panel though.

Onto the question of the day.  I want to line this with aromatic cedar.  I am thinking a box that will slide inside this box but not have a top or bottom.  So like a sleeve.  I would probably rabbet the sides and glue it together.  Will I have wood movement issues doing something like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Making some more progress.  I built the front and back and glued them up and now I just have to get the side panels finished and then I can glue the front and back together.

Really happy with how it is turning out.

Photo Sep 03, 11 21 42 AM.jpgPhoto Sep 03, 11 21 54 AM.jpg

Should be able to get everything glued up tomorrow and the I get get going on the lid and bottom. 

I need to get some hinges ordered and was thinking of getting these from Horton.  Anyone tried them before?  Id like something of decent quality but don't really want to fork out the money for Brusso.

http://www.horton-brasses.com/PB-409.asp

• Like 1

Why cedar at all?

Cedar was traditionally used in blanket chests to keep moths out of the textiles.  We don't have moth problems anymore because we live in modern homes.  I don't know who wants their blankets smelling like cedar.  I certainly don't.  In fact the only time I wanna smell cedar is when I'm being fed a juicy chunk of salmon served on a hot cedar plank.  (I've never actually experienced this but it sounds good. :D )

• Like 1

Why cedar at all?

Cedar was traditionally used in blanket chests to keep moths out of the textiles.  We don't have moth problems anymore because we live in modern homes.  I don't know who wants their blankets smelling like cedar.  I certainly don't.  In fact the only time I wanna smell cedar is when I'm being fed a juicy chunk of salmon served on a hot cedar plank.  (I've never actually experienced this but it sounds good. )

Well I like the smell of cedar. I have a cedar chest that I keep some things in and love the smell.

Probably the bigger reason is I think it would look nicer if the inside was lined with something. I put the bad side of the panels to the inside and some of them have some chip out. And a few of the other pieces have defects that I put to the inside as well. Just seems like it would look more finished when you opened it up.

• Like 1

Well I like the smell of cedar. I have a cedar chest that I keep some things in and love the smell.

Probably the bigger reason is I think it would look nicer if the inside was lined with something. I put the bad side of the panels to the inside and some of them have some chip out. And a few of the other pieces have defects that I put to the inside as well. Just seems like it would look more finished when you opened it up.

Totally agree. I love the smell of cedar as well. Was thiking of making a cedar closet one day. Id love to walk around smelling like wood all the time lol.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

beautiful work Brad and nice progress on a big project. i've lined all the hope/blanket chests i've built with cedar, i like the way it finishes the inside and i don't mind the smell and after a while the aroma gets less. thats going to be a great gift that will last many lifetimes, and to quote wdwerker "be sure to sign and date it"

• Like 2