finished my cypress patio table

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice! Did you put any sort of finish on it?

I didn't want to have to maintain anything so left it unfinished.  Thanks.  Brian

Thanks for the positive comments on the yard.  If you only knew.  That's my other addiction, landscaping. The joke between my wife and I is that in our retirement we'll be selling perennials at the side of the road to pay for our retirement.

Great table ! Very nice yard too !

If you got some old growth cypress it will weather to a nice silver grey.

If it's new growth I suggest some sort of renewable exterior oil finish and glides/spacers to keep the legs up off the patio.  You can cut up one of those thin white plastic cutting boards into squares that are smaller than the legs & screw them on with stainless screws. Even old growth would benefit from glides.

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Great table ! Very nice yard too !

If you got some old growth cypress it will weather to a nice silver grey.

If it's new growth I suggest some sort of renewable exterior oil finish and glides/spacers to keep the legs up off the patio.  You can cut up one of those thin white plastic cutting boards into squares that are smaller than the legs & screw them on with stainless screws. Even old growth would benefit from glides.

Steve.  Honestly don't know.  Probably new growth then.  With new growth will it not hold up outside?  Thanks Brian

New growth is softer and will last outdoors if finished. It weathers pretty quickly if unfinished, gets spongey if it's in standing water/ground contact. So some sort of easily renewable finish and glides to keep it up off the patio will greatly extend its life.

Old growth has so many growth rings per inch and a higher resin content that it can be allowed to weather to a grey patina. But even it will benefit from some sort of finish.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

New growth is softer and will last outdoors if finished. It weathers pretty quickly if unfinished, gets spongey if it's in standing water/ground contact. So some sort of easily renewable finish and glides to keep it up off the patio will greatly extend its life.

Old growth has so many growth rings per inch and a higher resin content that it can be allowed to weather to a grey patina. But even it will benefit from some sort of finish.  

Thanks Steve, looks like i am not done yet.

21 hours ago, wdwerker said:

steve, if I use the penofin marine varnish I assume this would kept the wood from weathering?  Trying to fiure out the color over time depending on what I put on for a finish.  Thanks Brian

It's been about 7-10 days and the mildew has already started without an oil finish.  I will add the finish this weekend after sanding.  Damn.  Should have spent the money on teak, to late now.