Maple: Rodney Dangerfield of wood?

Rex Edgar

I used maple for the first time the last few days. It seems there are a few different varieties of maple, all I know is that I bought some maple. It is about as interesting in the grain as box store ponderosa pine. When cutting, I can tell it is much stouter the pine, but it just doesn't do anything for me. This is especially in contrast to some walnut that was used just before. Any thoughts? The pics are of the maple and the walnut, what a contrast.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Maple is one if my favorite species.

Most commercially sourced maple is boring because that is precisely what the cabinet, flooring and millwork industry wants.  

Like E said, find some figured maple or find a source for maple with color.  Maple was one of Krenov's favorite species, and the stuff he used has tons of color.  Streaks of brown, red, etc.

Here is a floor I installed in my house. image.jpeg

Here is some birdseye I used on a coffee table top. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well,it is nice and hard, for when that quality is useful. so unlike your ponderosa pine, the maple won't dent if you stare at it too long. 

It is also really good for basketball/sports courts (maple dominates that industry by like 98% market share or more).

• Like 1

I like maple but it depends on what you're looking for. The piece you used, for example, doesn't have much going on, but for Danish modern/Mid modern pieces it's used for casework. I used it for a bookshelf that was trimmed with cherry, making a nice contrast. And like others pointed out the other varieties have great looking patterns -- finding it is a different story sometimes.

5 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Well,it is nice and hard, for when that quality is useful. so unlike your ponderosa pine, the maple won't dent if you stare at it too long. 

It is also really good for basketball/sports courts (maple dominates that industry by like 98% market share or more).

I didn't get quite enough for the round ball court......lol