Embedded Stain

Beginna Refinisha

Hello,

I'm finishing up the prep process on my dining room table.  It's oak and I think around one hundred years old.  It's stripped and sanded and ready to be stained.  I thought I was ok with a very light stain on the table.  Now that I sit back and admire all the hard work I put into it, I thought it would be silly of me to accept this stain without consulting some experts.  I have no idea what caused it, and I tried my hardest to remove it. I'm afraid to sand it down even further.  The first two pics are the bare wood and the last two are what the stain looks like when wiped with mineral spirits.  Any thoughts on how to take care of it?

tabletop stain 1.jpg

tabletop stain 2.jpg

tabletop stain 3.jpg

tabletop stain 4.jpg

8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I don't do much refinishing but if you dye oak black then put on a clear finish it looks great. You can see all the wood grain and its guaranteed to cover that stain. 

I wondered if a dark stain would mask it.  I'll use this tip as a last resort though - I'm not technically staining it since I want to keep the natural look of it (trying to match my cabinets).  But you do have me thinking!  

It is possible to bleach out a stain but then you have to be an artist to touch up the bleached out spot to match. I haven't done this so go read up on it ! 

I prefer to practice any finishing techniques a few times before I try it on a piece of furniture . Look and see if there are any spots like that on the backside or underside.

Maybe someone knows a way to remove the stain without bleaching out the wood. Good luck.

• 1 month later...