beginner Tools needed.

funny718

Hey guys and gals 

I'm a complete beginner and would like to start a few projects but I'm so torn as to what tools I need to get the job done. Here is a list on what i have so far 1.Drill 2.Tape tape measure 3.counter sink bits and normal bits 4.random orbital sander, I guess where I'm really hung up is do i really need a table saw to build things like aquarium cabinets,domino table,bed frames, and a computer desk, as space is a really big issues as i live in a studio in NYC. Can you nice folks point me in the right directions with any recommendations on tools and brands should i also invest in a pocket hole jig system like K5?

Thank You Regards Adrian

The other question is what is your budget?  For living in a studio, dust control and easy to set up and put away, so my recommendation would be festool.  Tools for Working Wood is in NY and they are a dealer so you could checkout and demo before you buy.  Prices are high, but for "portable tools" they offer the best dust extraction.

There are a couple of guys on here, their names escape me, that do fantastic work without the use of table saws, or power tools for that matter. One even stores his wood in his shower due to lack of space! But building the items you propose, even if you were a seasoned woodworker, without the aid of a ts, would be quiet an undertaking. JMO, and no offense, but you could move into digs with more room outside the city and probably buy a decent ts on the money you saved on rent the first month.

For the most part it sounds like you can use sheet goods for most of the things you want to make.

With minimal space, I'd recommend getting a tracksaw with good dust collection.

Bryan is right, look at Festool for superior dust collection. You can build a heck of a lot with a tracksaw and a domino. Be sure to add the CT vac, and you're in business. Somewhere around 2 grand or so should get you close for those items. If that is out of reach, and you don't have space for a proper setup I'd suggest searching for a woodworkers place near by. Perhaps a place that rents space would be close by? 

• Like 1

If I was trying to build in NYC, I would do one of two things.  Go all hand tools  or join a maker space. 

There are pros and cons to each. Neither excessively cheap. 

As for your question, no.  You don't need a table saw but you do need some way to make long cuts with the grain and usually shorter cutting across the grain then a way to  true those edges. 

• Like 1

Get one of these:

ab63fe1de0483a719fecc8269a397e36.jpg

and one of these:

6b0ad46cefd460ca28303bfcab2183f6.jpg

and a decent one of these:

3f6126dec9b5c2f24c1b4e48fb7ed292.jpg

(harryepstien.com is a good source)

along with a sturdy work table and a few of these, in various sizes:

ddee2b170b0ac8394a9e0b5f303f73f0.jpg

you will then have most of the tools NEEDED to make almost any project from wood. Not the least labor intensive, for sure, but inexpensive and relatively quiet.

Its actually easy to spend more on consumables like sandpapaper and glue.

Of course, you need a way to keep all that stuff sharp. I'm not touching that.

• Like 1

Hey guys thnx for all the quick reply's maybe i should had stated this before I'm sorry, i do have access to a small driveway so i would be building outside of the home it was more trying to store said table saw then anything lol I was looking at a used Ridgid table saw R4513 the space does have an awning so rain wouldn't get to it do u think that is my best bet. As those Festool are super pricey indeed.

You can always look for a jobsite table saw with a mobile stand. I'd imagine the new track saws coming from Festool might work as well. You have a ton of joinery options, too. Pocket screws, dowels, M&T, and more. You can mix hand and power tools. Get a couple used hand planes and a decent sander/vac combo, added to the saw of your choice and go. I started with a pocket hole jig, circular saw, 1/4 sheet sander and a tape measure. 

• Like 1

You don't need $2,000 in tools to make some of the stuff you want to do. Here's a good video Marc did a while back. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/basic-tool-set-beginning-woodworker/

If you're getting started I would purchase the Guild bookshelf video. Marc builds it all with a circular saw and a shop-made guide, not a table saw or track saw.

I have the Kreg K5 system and it works great, but looking back I wish I had just bought the small cheap one and used the money towards some other tools.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, funny718 said:

grrr i guess im really going to have to think this out a bit more thnx.

If you can store it under cover, a tablesaw should survive just fine. Jobsite saws are pretty good at enduring the elements, as long as you take care of them. Look up Darbin Orvar on YouTube, she keeps all of her power tools outside under a carport, and has some good tips for keeping stuff working. She's based in Corvallis Oregon I believe, only a little bit less rain than New York City.

For most of your ideas, a tablesaw or tracksaw will be the most convenient way to make cuts. It's really going to come down to budget and storage space.

A #4 or #5 plane are good investments for any new woodworker. Try finding them used and fixing them up (lots of videos on that) or if you want to get started now, Stanley S.W. and Woodriver are both serviceable brands. L.V. and L.N are of course the nice and shiny option, but when just starting out will probably be more expensive than you can handle.

Since you're in New York, try and find someone local to learn from. There should be a few maker spaces around, or you could always email JImmy Diresta and ask to hang out in his shop. He's very outgoing and usually keeps his door open when he's in the city. Not everything he does is fine woodworking, but he's pretty committed to helping new makers and woodworkers.

2 hours ago, funny718 said:

Thnx guys for all the great ideas waiting to hear back on the table saw I seen on cl if that pans out I'll be off to the races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you are going to store the tablesaw outside under a tarp, get a jobsite saw. They are better suited to handle the elements. Every major tool company makes one. I personally own a Porter Cable jobsite saw that I bought at Lowes - it is a far cry from the big 220V cabinet saw in my shop, but it is a decent tool

http://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-15-Amp-10-in-Table-Saw/50146380

I started out 25 years ago in an 8' x 10' room in our basement. Though still driving a truck over the road at that time, I didn't have much time for woodworking. My bride & my Sawbones decided I needed a stress reliever. When I was home, which was just for 36 hours at the most, & was gone for another three or four weeks. So, my loving bride made the decision we'd just look around for tools, & see what was out there. We started buying small hand tools like saws, drills, router bits, a used router, levels, squares, hammers, screwdrivers, things like that. As time went on, we finally bought a scroll saw, a bench top ts, saw blades, then we found a used RAS. The list goes on. I had to check out books at the library on every tool we owned & took a couple every trip with me to read until I'd read all I could handle. I finally started putting my tiny shop together. Dust control & lighting was an issue in the basement. I had a window in the room. Hung a few shop lights. Then started a few simple projects. With limited space, & a limited budget, you'd be amazed at what a little shopping around at estate sales, yard sales, etc. will turn up. Leave the festools til ya win the lottery. With no bigger projects than you have in mind for now, you can build them with a few clamps, a hand saw, & a few other necessities. Make yourself some jigs. Invest in a good a hand plane. Build you a couple sawhorses to work off of. You can do ANYTHING the rest us of can with our shops full of tools. Ingenuity, common sense, knowing your tools, & patience and you're off & running. Start making sawdust.

• Like 1