Thought this was interesting

bradpotts

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Been hearing about this on Woodtalk and other podcasts for a while..Not sure I really get it. Seems cool, but is it really easier / faster to program a shape or pattern, than to make a template?

Yes, much of the time it is. Software has gotten much more user friendly in the past 20 years. Prototyping and making fixtures, jigs and templates is very fast and accurate with little, if any adjustments needed.

On 8/23/2016 at 11:36 AM, RichardA said:

Very!

Richard, I thought you were against CNC tech in a wood shop. Why the interest in this? Certainly not trying to start anything, just curious.

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Been hearing about this on Woodtalk and other podcasts for a while..Not sure I really get it. Seems cool, but is it really easier / faster to program a shape or pattern, than to make a template?

It seems easy for this particular machine because the templates are 2D with a depth setting, not really 3D models. Its use is limited to making cuts and inlays.

So basically you just need a shape (easily produced with any vector drawing software) and a depth setting.

1 hour ago, micks said:

Yes, much of the time it is. Software has gotten much more user friendly in the past 20 years. Prototyping and making fixtures, jigs and templates is very fast and accurate with little, if any adjustments needed.

Richard, I thought you were against CNC tech in a wood shop. Why the interest in this? Certainly not trying to start anything, just curious.

I'm not opposed to anything that does a good job and doesn't take up 4 square yards of space in the shop! For me, It would be a tool that I'd use once every two or three months, to engrave something. It's not something I would consider using daily, as it takes away skill that I've spent many years earning.   Another point about my "Very" response. Seeing something that works well, a spaceship,  a laser rifle, a submersible that goes 4 miles deep and brings back interesting pics Is "Very interesting" One word does not make me , nor should it make anyone think I'd go and purchase it, but it's still Very interesting!!!   Nothing started!  One thing it cannot do is what you and I did recently.  Floating top tables. It might be able to cut the parts, [we do that] but it can't make them "live" like you and I made them "live"!   One more thing I'd like to add... Finding a Jewish settlement in the middle of Egypt that is 4000 years old to me is "very" interesting!

• Like 2

I'm with you on that. They do take up space. There are many things I find interesting that I would never consider owning. 

This definitely looks intriguing. I love the fact that, unlike a CNC router table, its format is limited only by the material size. I first saw the videos on it about a year ago and thought it was pretty cool, but they've really refined it in the newer versions. it seems to be using a technology that's been used in the countertop industry for several years that "measures and locates" deviations in walls to precisely scribe the top to the wall using optical registration points.

31 minutes ago, micks said:

I'm with you on that. They do take up space. There are many things I find interesting that I would never consider owning. 

This definitely looks intriguing. I love the fact that, unlike a CNC router table, its format is limited only by the material size. I first saw the videos on it about a year ago and thought it was pretty cool, but they've really refined it in the newer versions. it seems to be using a technology that's been used in the countertop industry for several years that "measures and locates" deviations in walls to precisely scribe the top to the wall using optical registration points.

I'm sure Ikea would use them, it can cut parts till the cows come home. But it's not a woodworking tool, it's a saw, it's a engraver, it encourages repetition, sometimes that's needed, but not in shops like yours or mine. And as I stated before, it cannot make a project live! It can only make it exist!