New Member Building A New Shop

Jim Frye

Hello.  I'm new here and a refugee from WoodOnline, which is closing next week.  I was a host there for nearly ten years back in the 90s and on.  I was also the forum administrator/moderator for the Ryobi Tool Forum before it was withdrawn.  I am building a new shop in the basement of our new home.  I had to pack up my old 12'x12' shop of 30 years in our old home.  The new shop is also in the basement, but is 12'x22' this time.  It will be laid out pretty much like the old one with a few changes to fix things from the old shop.  Right now, I have the walls framed and am in the process of wiring the shop for power and lights.  One of the big changes in the new shop is LED lighting.  I am using 17 daylight "60 watt equivalent" (5000K) LED GE Bright Sticks arranged in three rows down the length of the shop with four 75 watt track mount floods on a separate switched line for color balancing during finishing.  The middle LED row is centered in the 12' wide shop and the outer rows are 3' on either side, staggered from the center row.  Spacing is such that if you draw a 4' diameter circle around each fixture, the circles will just touch each other.  Two of the LEDs are positioned directly over the work bench at the end of the shop.  The floods will cover the middle 3/4qtrs of the shop floor, but they are aim-able in a 360 degree horizontal circle and 90 degrees up and down.  The ceiling of the shop is 7' from the floor.  That's a gotcha you get with a basement shop.  The LED light fixtures cost $4.50 each with the bulb.  I found the LED bulbs on sale for $1.50 each. The 17 LED bulbs cover everything in the 12'x22' shop and there's no shadows no matter where I stand.  The four 75 floods mute the daylight bulbs and provide a raking light for finishing.  It will get better when the walls are painted CHB (Chicago Home Builders white), but that will be awhile.  The cost was 1/3 of what seven LED tube lights would have been and a bit less than seven fluorescent fixtures would have been.  

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

Edited by Jim Frye
added a sig
  • Like 2

OK, Here's some visuals.  Note that I am building the shop around its contents, thus the clutter.  As I get the walls finished, I'll be moving some of the clutter off of the floor and onto the walls.  Also, all of the benchtop tools will be getting bases of their own eventually. 

And an answer to Pug,  I think the LED lighting is better than the old fluorescent tubes I had in the old shop.  No shadows, longer bulb life, less wattage/amperage usage, and the initial investment was less also.

The first pic. is no lighting, just the window.

The second is LEDs only.

The third is floods only.

The fourth is both LEDs and floods.

NewShopNoLights.JPG

NewShopLEDs.JPG

NewShopFloods.JPG

NewShopFloodsLEDs.JPG

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

Edited by Jim Frye
added sig
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pug said:

You must not have very deep frost there, seeing as your insulation is up so high.  Here in Ontario, mine goes right to the floor.

Down here it is common to require the thermal break on the outside of the foundation. Local code requires 1.5-2" foam board that reaches up to the sill. Is that done anywhere up there?

5 hours ago, Pug said:

I see.  I was picturing the long 4' fixtures in LED.   Looking fwd to seeing your project come to life.

You must not have very deep frost there, seeing as your insulation is up so high.  Here in Ontario, mine goes right to the floor.

Our frost line is 3 - 4 feet down.  Our builder puts 2" foam board on the outside of the poured concrete basement walls all the way down to the footer drains.after they are sealed.  The fiberglass on the inside it to insulate the portion of the foundation above grade.  The spaces between the floor joists are also insulated.  The house actually qualified for an Energy Star rating when they did the infiltration test.  Last winter, the basement stayed an even 70 degrees F in spite of it not being heated.  Since the blankets are all around the basement, later on, I will box the fiberglass in with 2x4s and 1/4" plywood. 

The long four foot LED fixtures would have been at least three times the cost for the same lumens.  Having had fluorescent tubes in the old shop, I went studying for an alternative.  

• Like 1