plumbing question

Eric.

(Obviously) y'all aren't plumbers but I'm gonna ask this question here anyway.

We had new toilets installed during the remodel.  One in the hall bath, one in the master bath.  They sit back to back, separated by a wall (obviously).  When you flush one toilet, it draws some water out of the other, enough so that if I flushed one five or six times, it will completely drain the other to where there's no water in the bowl.  You can fill the empty toilet back up with a single flush and it's ready to go, but this is (obviously) an inconvenience, and on top of that, it kind of bubbles and pops and gurgles enough to where it would splash a little water on your butt if you did it while sitting.

I'm quite annoyed by this so (obviously) I called the plumber about it, and I got some story about how it's because of "new toilets on old plumbing."  (BTW...a house built in 1991 is now considered "old.")  And that if I didn't like it I'd need to install a "slower flushing toilet."

So, (obviously) I'm fuming pissed.  Does anyone know if this guy is feeding me a line, and if there's anything else that can be done about it?  I refuse to believe there's not another solution aside from spending another $500 on another two new toilets.

I am not a plumber, but I think this is due to tying both toilets into the same stack. If one is connected below (or even with) the other, it will siphon water out of the upper connection. You could see about getting the vent checked, it may be partially clogged, and thus not admitting enough air when flushing. Alternatively you might be able to get a separate air-intake added for the problem toilet, there are one-way valves that can be installed inside the home, without running another pipe to the roof.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ask-toh/toilet-vent-problem

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

If one is connected below

My house has one on the top floor that is connected to the bottom floor through a common poop chute.

The one on top does seem to have a lower level from time to time... Never thought about it, probably because when I use the one on the top floor it's in the middle the night and I leave the lights off because if I'm blinded by the light I might not be able to resume a peaceful slumber. 

The bottom one is new, top is old.

The only thing that has changed are the two new toilets.  The old toilets did not have this problem so I don't think it's a venting issue...unless new toilets need to be vented in a different way than old toilets.

I found an old thread on a plumbing forum and a couple of those guys claimed that this is a common issue and it can be resolved by using a wye instead of a tee.  Then some other guy said no you can't do that because blah blah blah.  And I don't know what that would involve anyway.  So I still don't know anything.

Just now, Chet K. said:

Eric, I think he is feeding you a sack of $h!t.  My house was built in "72" and I just put two toilets in in back to back configuration and nothing like your problem has take place. 

What kind of toilets were they Chet?  Did your plumber have to change the fittings in the wall?

Here's the thread I found, BTW....

http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-bowl-empties-when-flushing-another-back-to-back-toilet.46995/

15 minutes ago, Eric. said:

The only thing that has changed are the two new toilets.  The old toilets did not have this problem so I don't think it's a venting issue...unless new toilets need to be vented in a different way than old toilets.

I found an old thread on a plumbing forum and a couple of those guys claimed that this is a common issue and it can be resolved by using a wye instead of a tee.  Then some other guy said no you can't do that because blah blah blah.  And I don't know what that would involve anyway.  So I still don't know anything.

I know it is a vent issue, just not why without looking. Improper draw is the only reason one will draw through the other or push through the other. The fix is easy until you hang walls. He must fix it, no questions. 

Where is this from where these toilets are? A tree fell through the house. First thing I'd look for is a stack change at the roof level. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Their both Kohlers.  I did the work myself, just took the old ones out, new wax rings and new toilets.  I have a neighbor down the street that is retired plumber, let me talk to him and I will PM you anything I find out.

Great, thanks Chet!

13 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Its a long shot, but your vent stack might be clogged.  Maybe some leaves and crap got in there when the tree fell on your house.   

Nah, no leaves or anything...the tree didn't fall anywhere near the vent.

5 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I know it is a vent issue, just not why without looking. Improper draw is the only reason one will draw through the other or push through the other. The fix is easy until you hang walls. He must fix it, no questions. 

Well all the toilet fittings and pipes, stack, vent, etc...is all accessible in the basement.  So they shouldn't have to tear anything apart to fix it.  They just need a properly functioning BRAIN.  That's a long shot these days.

And don't worry, homeboy won't be getting paid a dime until everything is working to my satisfaction.  And I owe him a tidy sum.  Plenty of incentive for him to get it right.

Yeah, most likely a venting issue as everyone says.  The reality is that it could have been setup incorrectly in the past, but a new toilet with slightly different flow could be exposing the problem.  It's also just possible a stupid bird tried to start building a nest in there during the week the toilets were replaced. This happened to my parents. Birds are dumb.

9647777e10e3ad6644cc44baa75de581.jpg

Looks like plumbing to me.

So my top two possibilities are vent problems...it is a 2" vent and Chet's buddy said that could be an issue

OR

Fittings problem where there should be a wye instead of a tee.

Either way he better figure it out if he wants to get paid...which brings me to the next opinion I need...

Should I tell him where to stick it when he tries to charge me more for the fix, or would it be legitimate? Since technically he does have to retrofit the "old" plumbing, whatever the issue is.