Best/Worst Woodworking Advice

prov163

What is the best woodworking advice you ever got?  The worst?

I'll start:

Best advice - "The only reason I'm a better woodworker than you is because I do more of it" - Jim Heavey   It reminded me that in all skills you improve in direct relation to how much time you spend honing them. 

Worst advice - "The 12'x24' building will be plenty big enough."  LOL

Worst:  "You could just stain it. Not much work, would save a ton of money."

Best: "Buy what you can afford, but only if you need it for a project. Then go make stuff"

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Best advice:

"This is real woodworking.  Nothing ever works out perfectly, and anyone who tells you otherwise...is lying."  - Spags

Worst advice:

"Buy Grizzly."  - people who I'd like to punch in the face

Pretty sure that's your own quote from 5 years in the past ;)

• Like 1

Best Advice: 2 are tied for my top spot

Buy once, cry once - Author Unknown

Never buy anything Harbor Freight with a motor - Anyone who's ever owned them

Worst Advice:

You have all the tools you need, this won't be expensive - My wife

• Like 1

Just now, TIODS said:

Best Advice: 2 are tied for my top spot

Buy once, cry once - Author Unknown

Never buy anything Harbor Freight with a motor - Anyone who's ever owned them

Worst Advice:

You have all the tools you need, this won't be expensive - My wife

Lol nice.  Honestly the first one is a mixed bag for me.  I have done that with other hobbies and regretted it because I didn't continue with the hobby for more than a couple years, so I never pass that kind of advice on to people who are new to any hobby...especially not one like this where the initial outlay ranges from the thousands to tens of thousands.

Best advice: If you are about to make a cut and something doesn't feel right, stop and think of another way to do it.

Worst advice: run that piece of wood through the table saw in the opposite direction with if on. (Middle school shop class, and we actually tried it when the teacher was gone. Thank god we didn't kill anyone)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bradpotts said:

Worst advice: run that piece of wood through the table saw in the opposite direction with if on. (Middle school shop class, and we actually tried it when the teacher was gone. Thank god we didn't kill anyone)

Did you try it with the blade on backwards..LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Best advice not followed quite soon enough: "Dust collection is the FIRST consideration when setting up your shop".

There's so much poor advice on the internet it is hard to choose but, a compound miter saw proved to be the most useless investment this side of a biscuit joiner I have ever been told that I "need".

Oh, and my favorite: "I been using a table saw fer forty years and ain't never needed a guard".

Old-timers and experienced hands that don't over-emphasize safety to newbies are just plain irresponsible IMHO.

gee-dub, I'm seriously thinking of taking my SCMS out of my flow.  I only use it for crosscutting and merely as a convenience.  It takes up an inordinate amount of space and again, I only use it for one operation.  How did it work out for you?  Are you using hand saws and a shooting board, or that NASA engineered table saw sled?