Dining Table design help

Curtis

I'm currently building a table similar to the images attached. My question is about the different stretcher design. The one has one long centered stretched and the other has two that run just inside the long edges of the table. Could I really go with just one long center stretcher that connects to the shorter side aprons? 

My table is being made from quarter sawn Doug fir and the top is one inch thick and actual has a 1/8 inch crown to it after my glue up. So it needs  to be pulled flat in the middle.  My stretchers are 3" X 1 1/2"  and I'm connecting them to the legs with (2) stacked 10mm dominos   The table is 36" X 80"    If I'm trying to calculate for sag what type of load would you use ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The racking protection comes from triangulation along with a few other variables.  A taller stretcher spreads the joinery further apart (up/down wise) to help triangulate.  Dominos side by side width wise rather than stacked helps too. If I was using a single center stretcher,  I would consider a 4" or wider sliding dt.

• 1 month later...