Have you ever...

Threaded a wooden dowel. I have a project that requires threading a wooden dowel, I'm using oak. I was thinking of waxing the wood first so that it acts as cutting oil would when tapping metal... Thoughts? anyone ever try this with success? have a wood threading kit, have never used it. Got it on sale thinking that someday it might come in handy. Guess we'll see. Making a wall mounted book press type of thing for the wife. Don't ask why... lol I still don't have an answer.

Making something like this....

6c9298c37cef556a5c2c1927f50aaba8.jpg

282087f9ce43407ff82c94b4967d01d9.jpg

One tip would be to start with longer than you need.  It is not uncommon for the tap to take an inch or two to square up and be cutting right. Wax is good for a lubricant. Just don't advance the cutter too much. Many light passes gives a far better result than trying to hog through it in two or three goes

• Like 1

Thanks Brendon. I was planning on just threading the entire dowel, about 4 ft. Mainly incase any threads are damaged I can just cut off a few inches here or there, or have some extra for another project. One video I watched used boiled linseed oil as the lubricant. I have some and wax, so ill be able to test which is better. 

The wax definitely helped... more so than the oil did. I used a paste wax. There was a little tear out here and there, I used an oak dowel, I'm thinking the tear out on threads is probably not going to be something I can solve, maybe oak wasn't the best choice but it was a practice run. I'll have pictures up later. 

3 hours ago, Pug said:

"...danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Just once... but I didn't start it.

Well, this is the best I could do for a first try in the amount of time I had. lol. 

I learned a lot during this process with the threading and I think if I ever attempt this again, it'll be a much different process, different wood, and I think I'd make a wider base for the books to sit on. But you get the general Idea. Now to see if she likes it and then where she wants it mounted to the wall. Joy.

IMG_7058.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Ryan, did you put reinforcing splines or something in the back corners of the C-frame? Seems like a little too much torque on the screw might crack the short grain there.

I drilled in two 1/2" x 6" dowels just incase. Once the books are in place it doesn't take much torque to keep them there safely. I was going to do splines but since I was doing some drilling and had the dowels, I gave it a go that way. Might do a chamfer top and bottom next time. There are a bunch of things I'd do differently, but it gave me some extra practice on the lathe and with the threading kit. Next one will be different and probably smaller.

5 hours ago, treeslayer said:

looks good Ryan, in my house ten minutes after i hang something she wants to move it 2 inches to the left, good luck

Thanks Dave. It's the same in my house lol... so for now it's staying where it is until she makes a decision. If ever lol