Domino 500 Jig

Rex Edgar

I had a spare moment in the shop this afternoon, so I knocked out this jig. I am a recent convert to the green tool disease and a recent purchaser of the Domino 500. My hobby has me working with many different dimensions of wood, especially the thickness.I am familiar with the metric system, but have inches and fractions ingrained. I have found setting the depth of the Domino mortise to be almost a 'three hand' affair. When getting ready to use the tool I always had to get a scrap piece and make sure the depth was where it was called for. To shorten the head-scratching, I got a scrap piece and made mortises of the four smallest (4, 5, 6 & 8mm) at varying depths. I stored it with the systainer and had a use for it this afternoon when joining two boards for an unrelated project. For me it takes one step out of the setup process. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Shane, 

I swear I didn't see this first. I'm still becoming familiar with the Domino and thought a visual reference to the depth, from the edge of the workpiece was a good idea. In the meantime, found the gradual stops on the left of the tool, 16, 20, 22, etc. It is a very useful tool. Practice is sometimes hard to do when you just gotta 'make something", lol.

I make sample blocks with each diameter bit in all 3 widths. Exact center lines and outer edge lines make these very useful for layout work of how many mortices of which size will fit in a particular joint.

I make domino stock to fit all 3 widths in about 18-24" sticks. That lets me use an extra wide tenon in a place where 2 regular sized ones won't fit. I can also choose my length . Micrometer, drum sander and a router table make it easy to get a clean snug fit. Making the strips about 1/16 narrower than the mortice gives me just a little wiggle room to get edges lined up perfect during glue up.

• Like 1