shaker rocker

galturner

OK, throw rocks if you will, and I have no knowledge of the Shaker design, but I think the bright blue pattern design takes away from the otherwise fantastic build of the chair. Certainly better than anything that I could ever imagine to undertake, just saying! But blue is all I see!

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Now THAT design looks like it could be a good first-time rocker project. Are there any pitfalls to the build that aren't evident from what we see in the photo?

Very nice, BTW. Did you include padding between the tape layers?

yes padding between layers

pitfalls?   what is capacity of your lathe? the back posts are longer than the vast majority of lathes. How are you at drilling round holes at 87degrees on round objects? can you steam bend matching back posts? Do you have access to Perfect rock maple. The wood must be top quality; this design and thickness of the parts demands perfect wood..  I would suggest you first study shaker rocker design. They left us massive amts. of info. Second I would say that you might try a "country", hill country type rocker first.  Look up appalachian type chairs.  The back posts are thicker and some designs have rectangular seats, thus avoiding non 90 degree joinery. 

Is this a beginner project? If so you are a woodworking prodigy.   But, hey, give it a try. I have made over 100 chairs, and I have thrown many hundreds of chair parts in the woodstove.  I got better at it the more I made.

• Like 1

Ok, maybe not so much a "beginner" project, but on the surface, less intimidating than a Maloof-style rocker. However, the sculpting process probably removes a lot of mistakes in a Maloof design, whereas this chair has to be exact in every way.

That's one thing I like about Shaker designs, they are deceptively simple in appearance, yet wonderfully engineered.

• Like 1