How do you clean your shop?

Rex Edgar

You actually clean your shop? :lol:

I have a basement shop. It's 20' x 30'. For 90% of my work, I work with hand tools, so that eliminates a lot of dust. I have a Rikon air cleaner that I run when I use my band saw, etc. A couple times a week, I'll run it for 4 hours after I finish for the day. I sweep at the end of the day, and more if needed. For me this works fine. But, I wouldn't mind having a shop like yours! B)

Usually with a broom and shop vac. Even with an air cleaner with regular filter changes there is still a fine residue on horizontal surfaces. White painted blockwork walls are very light brown.

i probably get 95% of the dust so I use a leaf blower to get the next 4%.

I wear a powered respirator when milling, table sawing or routing.

I use a vac on small chips and dust.  I use a broom and dust pan on hand tool spoil (curlies).  I hit it whenever it seems proper.  I don't go too crazy; there are nooks and crannies where spoil snow-drifts up against things and will be right back if I get it all.  I give it a decent amount of attention and consider things I miss to be available for next time ;-) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I use a vac on small chips and dust.  I use a broom and dust pan on hand tool spoil (curlies).  I hit it whenever it seems proper.  I don't go too crazy; there are nooks and crannies where spoil snow-drifts up against things and will be right back if I get it all.  I give it a decent amount of attention and consider things I miss to be available for next time ;-) 

This is identical to my method. Sometimes broom before the vacuum helps it go faster because I'm too stupid to remember the broad fan type vacuum attachment.

Yeah I'm a BR550 man just like you, Rex.  I blow out the shop pretty often, after I complete building a project but before the finish, and most of the time I'll blow it out after I cut the grass, since I have the blower out anyway.  I open the garage door and the back door of the garage, turn my fan on high, put on my respirator, and chase dust around for ten minutes or so.  I leave the doors open and fan on for another half hour to get rid of the gas exhaust stink, and after that my shop is about as clean as it can get.  Broom and dustpan...even a Dustright vacuum system...simply cannot compare to a backpack blower.

Then I make a cut on my table saw and it's as if I've never cleaned in here ever my entire life.  Stupid table saw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lester Burnham said:

It only has the one door so it takes a few sessions of blowing everything out, letting it settle, and starting over again.

If you put a big industrial fan on high right at the door, it'll blow out a lot of that crap when you kick it up in the air.  Makes a big difference.

• Like 1