Greene and Greene Inspired Wall Cabinet

gee-dub

Good stuff, GD.  I love the way you used the cloudlifts in this piece...different, playful, attracts attention but doesn't hit you over the head.  Perfectly crafted and the finish looks great.  What finish is it anyway?

Yeah the sipo does look a lot like sapele.  I think sapele tends to be just a touch darker and perhaps a little more "chocolatey."  Either way, tough to tell the difference.  If you would have said it was sapele I would have never known.

Beautiful piece.

• Like 1

At first I thought a base like that would look weird hanging on the wall instead of resting on the floor. But seeing it in situ changed my mind. This is a beautiful cabinet.

Have you ever worked with Lyptus? A friend of mine did a really cool G&G frame for a Gamble House poster and he used Lyptus as an alternative to mahogany. I had never heard of it until he told me about it.

-E

Thanks again to everyone.  I always appreciate comments or compliments but, compliments from my fellow woodworkers always seem a bit better :).  I never hesitate to absorb something from other member's posts and am happy if something I happen to post gives someone an idea that gets them out to the shop or let's them take away some thoughts on a jig or a method.

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

One question comes to mind. What's up with the 1/2 of a cloud lift door ? I have never seen an asymmetric  G&G piece before.

After you said this I went back and looked because I missed that. I think I got mesmerized by the finish. Anyway, I see what you're saying but I think he picked up great symmetry on the right side of the door.

gee-dub, is that your personal take on G&G that you incorporate regularly into your builds or was it a one off?

13 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Very nice looking cabinet !

One question comes to mind. What's up with the 1/2 of a cloud lift door ? I have never seen an asymmetric  G&G piece before.

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

After you said this I went back and looked because I missed that. I think I got mesmerized by the finish. Anyway, I see what you're saying but I think he picked up great symmetry on the right side of the door.

gee-dub, is that your personal take on G&G that you incorporate regularly into your builds or was it a one off?

The Gamble House triggered the incomplete cloud lift for me.  I liked the way it gave visual weight to the hinge side of the door while the dividers (hopefully) added some interest to the open field of the door.

My affection for G&G is in the "look and feel".  I've never done a reproduction but, do enjoy using the elements.  The half-a-cloud-lift shows up hither and yon in the bungalows.

porter-frontdoor.jpg

porter-light.jpg

An although "bisymmetricality" seems to reign supreme in the Ultimate Bungalow furnishings and fixtures, Asymmetrical drawers, doors, glass, and other elements abound.

605.jpg

Gamble+House+025.JPG

Like Stickley or Queen Anne, G&G comes with some strong style elements.  If you like them, choose some and make them your own :)

• gee-dub changed the title to Greene and Greene Inspired Wall Cabinet