Transtint mixed with varnish

Pwk5017

Is it possible to tint a wipe on poly, ARS, waterlox(enter wiping varnish brand here) with transtint dye to no ill effect? Curious about moderating the color variance in a walnut piece, while simultaneously darkening it a bit. I know i could dye/tint the piece prior to, but this involves mixing transtint with water, wiping the piece down to stain it, and then sanding down the raised grain again. Seems like a PITA that i would rather tint the finish. 

Yes you can ~ 1 oz of xylene then add Transtint, mix then add that to the ARS.

I have not done this, but had posed this question to General Finishes years ago while working on a solution to a project. Transtint and oil finishes/stains don't wet together very well and tend to separate.   

-Ace-

AceHole's thoughts mirror my own.  I have used Transtint in all sorts of things.  I just use whatever solvent the end product is using, mix the transtint in that and then mix the result into the end product.

Walnut lightens with exposure to UV.  While I try to avoid colorants as a rule I have started to dye my walnut the same color it would be if oiled.  What started me down this road was seeing the effect on a piece I had made for someone years ago.  The sun peeking in from the curtained window in early morning had lightened one side are.  the owner hadn't noticed but, I sure did (don't we always blow our minor flaws out of proportion?) <_<

The more viscous the end product the less penetration you tend to get from the dye color as it remains suspended.  This can also lead to a milky look in clear top coat as the color is suspended in it (think Polyshades).  I find coloring something to be used on the bare wood first and then following with a top coat once I am happy with the color yields better results.  YMMV.

Hmm, that is interesting and surprisingly simple. I can mix the transtint with mineral spirits to dilute the transtint, then mix that solvent with my standard wiping varnish? Im far from a chemist, but most if not all wiping varnishes use mineral spirits as a solvent for the solids, right? Alternatively, could i mix up the transtint/mineral spirits solution and pre-dye the wood prior to applying a finish? Mineral spirits will dilute the transtint, but not raise the grain.

46 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Hmm, that is interesting and surprisingly simple. I can mix the transtint with mineral spirits to dilute the transtint, then mix that solvent with my standard wiping varnish? Im far from a chemist, but most if not all wiping varnishes use mineral spirits as a solvent for the solids, right? Alternatively, could i mix up the transtint/mineral spirits solution and pre-dye the wood prior to applying a finish? Mineral spirits will dilute the transtint, but not raise the grain.

Have you tried adding transtint to the MS? I'm not at home to test it for you. If memory serves, they don't play nice together??? could be wrong on this. I use transtint to make a dye with either one of the three ~ water/lacquer thinner/ denatured alcohol.

-Ace-