Worksharp WS3000 anyone?

bleedinblue

I'm long overdue to invest in a decent sharpening setup.  My handtool use has been extremely limited so far so I have neglected doing so.  I'm slowly working on that.

I could easily spend $100-150 on a few King or Norton waterstones and be OK...but then I'd have to consider that I don't have a sink in the basement.  I'd prefer to not drag everything upstairs to the kitchen or laundry room to sharpen, and a spray bottle of water seems inadequate.  The WS3000 seems pretty fool proof.  The worst thing about it I see is it's just another power tool taking up room when not in use, some MDF discs cut to size and honing compound could save the expense of replacing sandpaper.

Not much (recent) discussion on this here though, is there a reason for that?

I had a thread about it a few months back, ended up buying one for about half of new. It works reasonably well, the only major downside being the sandpaper wearing out. I've seen discussion of power stropping using MDF and compound, but I've never tried it. I did pick up some diamond discs off eBay to try, since they're supposed to last a lot longer than the sandpaper.

For me, the biggest advantage was that it works dry, since I have no shop sink. I usually just leave the finest disc on it so I can touch up the chisel edges before and during use. If you want to use it for plane irons bigger than a block plane, plan to buy the wide blade attachment. It's a supplementary table that goes on top so you can use a honing guide. Some people have made their own, with stands and such, but I couldn't be bothered.

I use basically the same setup Marc has - well actually I just copied his ?. I like that I only have to spritz the Shapton stones. I still keep plenty of water on them but it's still not terribly messy. I'm going to put in a small sink someday but it's working fine for me now. 

In all honesty it doesn't matter what system you use if you use it regularly and get good results. I got lazy about sharpening for a while but over the last couple of weeks I've really focused on it and it's made a big difference. If you keep it accessible, whatever you use, you're more likely to use it. 

Just my experience. 

I have run the WS3K for years. I lacked the sharpening gene and could never get the muscle memory built for free hand.  During this learning period the WS3K gave me a razor's edge in no time.

You want to shape your bevels on a grinder or other tool as the coarse paper on the WS3K will wear out rapidly if used for this kind of work.  There is some initial alignment and a short learning curve (as in minutes) and then you're off.

Even though I can now free hand I keep the WS3K on the bench if I am going to be doing a lot of chisel work.  As I lose the initial razor's edge I can touch up in just moments and go right back to work.

@Woodenskye - Darex offers great customer service so I would report any problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

See, I'd just about talked myself out of the WS until you came along GD.  I really think that if I go that route, I'll build a stand like Stumpy Nubs' and use primarily MDF and honing compound, especially for edge maintenance. 

Go with whatever you think will do the job. You can always shift gears down the road. You'll hone (pun intended) your sharpening process down as you go. 

33 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I've heard good things about it, after spending money on a combo stone and veritas guide, could have just bought it, would have been easier I'd say.

I agree it would be easier. I thought the advantage of stones was the cost in the long run.  What do the consumables cost for the worksharp, and how often do they need replacing? Even a cheap combo waterstone will last years, and you're only out $20 plus another $20 for a cheap guide.

More work, yeah. Money saved for something else IMO.

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

Go with whatever you think will do the job. You can always shift gears down the road. You'll hone (pun intended) your sharpening process down as you go. 

This is so true.  I have stones, honing guides, the WS3K and the table accessory, a Kell, special holders for my router plane and shave irons, a Scary Sharp setup blah, blah, blah.  There are many ways to sharpen and different methods for different cutters.  You will probably end up with a few different setups.

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I could easily spend $100-150 on a few King or Norton waterstones and be OK...but then I'd have to consider that I don't have a sink in the basement.  I'd prefer to not drag everything upstairs to the kitchen or laundry room to sharpen, and a spray bottle of water seems inadequate.

You don't need a sink in the basement to use stones, and a spray bottle is not inadequate.  I should do a video of my sharpening process like Tom did because I think people over-complicate sharpening like they over-complicate finishes...maybe I will.  In the meantime, here's my station...three stones and a diamond plate for flattening.  Spray bottle and Veritas jigs.

• Like 1

I have a WS3000, with the tormek gouge jig, skew jig, and tool rest.  I can't afford the actual Tormek grinder.  I'm ambivalent about the WS.  It definitely gets the job done for me with plane irons.  But with my lathe tools, which were the reason I bought it.  It's very touchy, and I can't get the accessory arm parallel with the disk.  I do go through sand paper often, especially the micro mesh 3600.  I might be able to get two tools done, before it just tears.  And they're pricey to replace, on Amazon for the price, I can get a whole pack of assorted lesser grits, but only 1 micro mesh 3600 disk, and a like 6400 or something.  So I bought some diamond coated disks through Amazon from China.   I bought a 400, 1000, and a 3000.  I'm pretty happy with them so far.

I've drooled over your sharpening table for a while Eric.  The quality of your "shop furniture" is unreal.

I went to Woodcraft today and took advantage of their 15% off sale.  Their selection was limited, but they had a couple Norton stones to get me started.  A 250/1000 combo and a 4000, I'll add an 8000 later.  I still may get a WS, but right now I dread adding another power tool that collects dust (and takes up space) most of the time.