A (small) swarm of grasshoppers

SawDustB

My youngest daughter's birthday is on Friday, and I wanted to make something for her so I decided on Marc's grasshopper toy.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/grasshopper-pull-toy/

Her older sister saw the video and decided she wanted one too, and I've also got a nephew... So 3 grasshoppers are now under construction.

The materials I'm using are a piece of spalted maple that my dad's had for about 40 years for the body, along with walnut for accents and cherry wheels. My older daughter wants to paint hers, so she's getting birch instead of the spalted maple. I milled everything up after a trip to the hardwood store yesterday, leaving me with this pile of potential parts this morning.

b1fa7de3e89dfc8ee503a7ed9beaaa30.jpg

First order of business was making wheels. This is why I was in Lee valley the other day, to pick up a wheel cutter. This seemed to work best when I went in from both sides with my tiny drill press.

668b1954f41d146dc1b9a320918a3cab.jpg

I made templates for all parts, and got the pieces for the bodies cut out and flush trimmed. I liked the results.

33580672a6136322975c09a5fcbb6c67.jpg

And I got the other parts cut up as much as I could on the table saw. I need to get them all made tomorrow.

0c387309dad0f442b12f7b7afa9294b5.jpg

• Like 2

This is a great idea, Brian ! Your little girl will love it im sure. She wants it purple and sparkly, LOL, little girl alright ! How old is she turning?

Btw, the project is looking good !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shane. My little girls are both turning 1 and 3 this week. It's the 3 year old that's voicing an opinion on it .

ed0d1ff704c7632dc572afdb18ccad18.jpg

Now I've got a rough pile of parts. Time to sand them all. I had a minor mishap with template routing a leg, but it's repairable.

Not looking too shabby with a coat of finish on them. I thought I might have to resort to spray lacquer for these, but I found enough enduro var to handle it. I love how the maple looks with the finish on it. Now I just have to go track down some of the axle pegs...

ad801341ccd78578d24c065880bad161.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure where my OP is, but I have the specs for the best sized vinyl washers somewhere in the forum.

I've repaired two so far that I gave out as gifts. The plans for the legs seem to have them a bit thin in comparison to the drilled out holes.

Yeah, thanks, I saw your comment on the wood whisperer site. I had the same thought about the legs after I had cut them up and drilled the holes already. Hopefully they'll be OK. At this point they're almost done except assembly.

I'm on the home stretch now, just really have to do assembly and I'm done. I mocked one up to see how it works and looks.

1523b270456ea3c5afa13b17c494e104.jpg

After playing with it, I think I'll take the advice from@vinnyjojo and go in search of nylon washers before gluing in the pegs. The motion wasn't quite as smooth as I'd like. I also had to drill 15/64 holes for the pegs to move smoothly, and 10 mm holes for the axles to turn (0.5 mm bigger than 3/8). No amount of drilling with a 3/8 but was going to work.

• Like 1

39bbc3a470d5674eda613090ed12028f.jpg

And we have 4 wheels. That was fiddly getting them to run smoothly. I put paste wax on the moving parts, and used washers. I had to use steel for the wheels because I didn't have time to mail order, and my local stores have very little. All that's left is flush trimming the axles and installing the pull string.

My youngest really liked her grasshopper. Mostly she tries to eat the ball, but she's quite protective of it :D

DSC02202_cropped.jpg

My older daughter's birthday was yesterday, so she spent a couple of hours painting it just the way she wanted it. At the moment it has a coat of shellac over the paint, and it'll be getting a couple of coats of polycrylic tonight, then assembly later this week.

IMG_20160912_150303.jpg

• Like 1