Simple test board project

estesbubba

I did several test boards to mainly compare water-based to oil. The top boards are water-based satin poly with all but the right 2 having a coat of garnet shellac to warm up the water-based. The bottom boards are Minwax wipe on satin poly and none of them have garnet shellac. L to R is walnut, cherry, a. mahogany, QS white oak, RS red oak, alder, and hard maple. The angle of the lighting makes the bottom row look darker than it is as the water and oil rows are very close in darkness. 

5C8AEC7B-4623-437C-85AE-4352B8664CDB_zps

59 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

No noticible difference from the pics. Is there in real life?

your OCD is showing, same spacing between samples?

They all look very similar except the cherry with the shellac and water-based has more depth. 

5 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

No dye/stain on the a. mahogany and the white oak boards?  All the white oak I find here is so pale and gross it looks like a dying banana, and the african mahogany is similar but not as bad. You made both look really nice, mind sharing if it's just better stock, or if not, share how you treated it?

White and red oak boards have penetrating stain and alder and maple boards have wiping stain. No stain on walnut, cherry, and mahogany. 

9 hours ago, estesbubba said:

White and red oak boards have penetrating stain and alder and maple boards have wiping stain. No stain on walnut, cherry, and mahogany. 

Yeah I was gonna say I've never had white oak that dark with a clear finish.

Gotta agree with Coop, can't really tell any difference in the pic except the lighting makes the top row look like it has slightly more sheen.  They all look good to me.  I think almost any well done finish can look great...as long as it's satin or matte. :)

Boy, maple looks terrible with stain on it.  IMO.

• Like 1