Chisels

nickpaul1234

I'm sure this has been asked billions of times and I probably should read more threads before asking this but because I'm sixteen and have better things to do (not really) I'm just gonna ask. Budget is $100 I would like to get into some small woodworking and some wood carving as well. I have two planes and and good at sharpening. I have a 1/2 a 1/4 and a 3/4 chisel but they were abused by 13 year old me. So of course I'm getting off topic. $100 I would like to get some chisels (sorry if I don't use correct terms but pretty much all the tools i've acquired are automotive) some gouges and some of those really small ones. I have one that I got free from a guy I bought saws from and have used it but if one shape did all multiple shapes wouldn't be used. And I'm horrible at staying on topic

BOTTOM LINE

$100 total buying from Amazon

What can I get chisel and gouge wise

Wood handles are preferred.

bdaea13007e52e8465961f4f397fe4ad.jpg

I would eventually like to do stuff like this but also want to have enough hand tools for boxes and such. I don't mind cheaper sets that require more sharpening as long as they'll get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

There's also this other narex set that comes with more knives and less gouges, but it is $70 instead of $40. Not sure why the huge change, perhaps the steel is better. 

https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Carving-Chisels-straight-894610/dp/B00VDFDLJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473050738&sr=8-2&keywords=narex+carving

Please note that I don't own either set, but was hoping to buy the cheaper set soon, so I don't really know if they are small enough for the kind of work you want to do, only you can decide that (which makes buying anything over the internet sight unseen a little difficult). 

Before you buy any carving chisels, I would go on youtube, and watch some videos by Chris Pye, and Mary May.

They are both exceptional carvers, and teachers. They also have information on what would be good for starting out.

Word of advice on carving. It's not as easy as it looks, but with a lot of patience and practice you'll get there. Just don't get frustrated. If you are struggling with something, step back, take a break, then try again. I've been working with wood for 45 years. I thought carving would be a piece of cake. I wanted to be the next Chris Pye. I now know why I'm a furniture maker / wood carver, and not the other way around!