New Laguna CFlux DC?

bglenden

Does anyone have any comments about the new Laguna CFlux DC line (e.g., http://lagunacleanair.com/product/cflux3/). I really like the form factor and they seem to have made several improvements over the previous generation of "short cyclones". Does anyone see any obvious cons with respect to, e.g. the Oneida V3000?

• 3 weeks later...

The thing to keep in mind is as long as they are correctly designed and constructed the short cyclones will less efficient at separation than taller cyclones, this along with general smaller filter areas will increase maintenance and reduce the replacement intervals.  Blower and cyclone designs are both mature and differences in efficiency are down to cost cutting or other compromises like height.  If you can use a taller cyclone, if not or you need portability then accept the cards you are dealt and buy the best shorter cyclone you can afford.  I personally look for quality of construction balanced by intelligent reviews, objective tests (with proper methodology) and with a bias toward manufacturers for whom dust collection is their bread and butter, so on the consumer side I lean toward CV and Oneida but with the eye toward used small industrial cyclones like Torit.  I also see dust collection is something that should be done at the highest level an individual can afford, I hate to upgrade things especially when it gives me no new shop capacity.

You would have to see some "in use" data which is always rare for dust collection systems.  Short cones regularly fall short on separation which means more spoil makes it to the filter. 

Keeping the filter functional so you can vent back into your breathing space is the whole reason for putting  up with the incredible hit that the separator puts on your efficiency. That being said, we all have to make compromises to shoe horn some of our machines into our work space.  If you have to go short or do nothing, go short by all means. 

Any of you lucky enough to live where you can vent the fouled air outside and don't are really missing an opportunity.  Dad gets to do this.  Not only is his DC in a "lean to" outside the primary shop area, he vents outside which means his sub-$500 DC way outperforms my cyclone cost much more.

I run a bagger in addition to the cyclone which serves the jointer only.  I run a properly sized filter bag from American Fabric Filter.  It is pretty easy to know if your filter bag is properly sized (or your cyclone filter if it has a 'below filter' bag).  The bag should remain soft during operation.  If it is blowing up like a balloon it is putting serious back pressure on  the system. 

My stock filter bag inflated like a pool toy and sounded like a drum if you whacked the side of it.  The current bag is held by a top-hook or it would just collapse on itself.  This same detrimental back pressure occurs if your cyclone doesn't keep enough of the fines out of your filter.  Anyone who has over-filled their barrel will tell you it is a lot easier to maintain things as you go than to stop for a filter cleaning session :D

The ClearVue is nice but it won't fit in many basement workshops.  I only have 92 inches of height and that does not leave any room for the dust bin or motor cooling.  Also the ClearVue is not complete.  It does not come with mounting brackets, dust bins, or remote, which would make it cost more than the Laguna.  Woodcraft has the Laguna for 10% off right now.   Not to mention that the ClearVue requires a significant installation process, and is not mobile.  Yes it is better, but may not be as practical for the weekend woodworker.

The Laguna CFlux series replaces the older Laguna cyclones and does seem a bit better.  Jet also has a new cyclone but not sure how it compares.  Now if only you could get the Laguna or Jet with better filters.  The cyclones are certainly better than the single stage collectors.