New Bryd inserts

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

No experience with carbide cutters, but it's a very brittle material. I wouldn't even think about tightening them without a good torque wrench. If one gets even a microscopic crack & then lets go in use, the pieces can bang around & take out half the other cutters.

Too true.  The cost of a torque wrench to do it properly will pale in the face of half your cutters getting trashed. Too often I see tales of woe from people who have high dollar machines but won't use quality tools to align or maintain them.

47 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Inch pounds, not foot pounds!!

I new there was something I was missing.Ive torqued thousands of Kb3 wedge anchors and Hdi's.All day I've been trying to wrap my head around a 10/32 trox screw handling The same as a1/2 inch wedge anchor.:huh:

I didn't even know they made torque wrenches in inches.

Thanks Ron you probably saved me one insert.

Aj

You can convert inch pounds to foot pounds by dividing in. lbs. by 12...55 in. lb. = 4.58 ft. lb. . Kind of hard to find a ft. lb. torque wrench that goes down that low but, it gives you an idea of what you are talking about.

I would just try to snug the screws down to about equal torque if you are not interested in buying an in. lb. torque wrench.

• 4 weeks later...

@Ronn W Thanks to Rons pointing out the difference between Inch pounds and foot pounds I did not break one insert installing new ones.

I also sent some wood thru and no inserts broke.This weekend I am building a Cherry and maple end grain cutting board.

Next week I should be ready to send it thru the planer.That will be the real test since its end grain.

Aj

Well i appreciate the warning from Wdwerker and RichardA.You are right end grain should not be sent thru a planer.So i wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless your ok with possibly destroying your machine.

Ive been trying to kill my planer.:angry:I really want a bigger one.B)

So I finished the cherry cutting boards.The Bryd did a fine job leveling them out.I wasn't too worried since I've owned this Pm 15 I've put some pretty hard woods thru it.Also did some end grain boards in Hard maple when i first bought it.

The gnarlyist wood I've ever planed has got to be mesquite.Thats stuffs is brutal.

Heres what it looked like in the clamps.

Then with a little mineral oil before the planer.

Then after the cut.The new inserts did fine job as expected.

In the project section i will show the finish boards.

Aj

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

I've ran a couple end grain boards through my planer, the crapper version of the Dewalt with straight knives.  It worked perfectly, except for horrible blowout on the back end.  I just trimmed off a couple inches.

After I did this, I read some horror stories and wont' do it again.  I actually thought there was a very real possibility of kickback that can throw the whole board back out at you.  The machine can be replaced, but dangerous operations should be avoided IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to reseat all my cutters on my pm 15hh. I set all my cutters with a snap on torque wrench using the bit they provide with the cutters. I missed the inch pounds thing as well and said no freaking way this can't be right. I set it to 4.5 foot pounds and everything was fine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I bought a used Byrd head for my planer, and was experiencing the occasional broken insert.  I ended up removing them all, cleaning the head and then torquing them all down to spec (**inch** pounds.....) and have not had a broken one since.