First real project, sapele cabinet to house Bearded Dragon, WoW themed

CandorLush

Cool project.

What kind of heat source are you planning for? Although it is convenient,  I would recommend against flex watt. It will actually start delaminating the plys pretty quickly.

If you haven't yet,  plan for somewhere for the t-stat to go and a way to hide the cords.

If I may make an observation.  The 38" high is crazy.  Beardies do not need, want,  or use vertical space.  It's a total waste of space and will make it harder for him to thermo regulate.

That space could easily be divided into two seperate  terrariums.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

Any plans for a Horde logo inlay?

-E 

Not until you asked, lol. We are planning on venting the cage with custom formed vents like in the attached photo I snagged from another build.

(https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=182242)

Might be really cool as a 12" tall side vent with a red LED strip inside. 

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Cool project.

What kind of heat source are you planning for? Although it is convenient,  I would recommend against flex watt. It will actually start delaminating the plys pretty quickly.

If you haven't yet,  plan for somewhere for the t-stat to go and a way to hide the cords.

If I may make an observation.  The 38" high is crazy.  Beardies do not need, want,  or use vertical space.  It's a total waste of space and will make it harder for him to thermo regulate.

That space could easily be divided into two seperate  terrariums.

Thanks, we aren't sure what we will end up with yet but thanks for the info on the flex watt. He has the normal heat bulbs now so we will probably stick with those to start. The bottom of cage will be tile with the insert "pond" area so it should keep enough heat but he plans on having it set up for a day or two before Thrall gets to move in, just to make sure the temps are right. 

Also, in terms of what will be plywood, the top of the cabinet is going to be solid wood but the sides, back and panels of the lower doors will be 1/2" sapele ply. The whole cabinet is 38" tall, the actual cage part is only going to end up being 21-24" tall with the shelves and floor gap. 

The inner cage will be approximately 22x22x46 as I'm making a 3/8 ply box for my friend to start doing the fake rock and design work while I'm still building the outer cabinet.

5 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Looks like a nice simple design, fits my taste. If your friend likes it, looks good to me. Seems like a unique project, have fun and keep updating is with your progress!

Thanks! Will do! 

sideventdetail.jpg

Tonight's progress isn't much, I screwed up the first rail by cutting the tail on the top side on one end and the front side on the other (perpendicular to each other). Then I cut the gap between the pins too far so I CA glued some thin strips onto the tail and fit the tail to the pins. This was my first attempt at this fix and I'm pleased with how well it went. 

Also, I should have haunched my tenons because I blew into the mortise when I cut the pins. I'm not terribly worried about it as it is maybe .3"x.5" but if I should be worried, I'd love to know so I can fix it. 

Thanks for looking, 

Carl

P.s. my user name is just an anagram of my first and last names 

20160908_220409.jpg

20160908_220350.jpg

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

If i understand correctly, you are missing a bit of the wall of the tail socket? With the mecahincal strength of the dovetail you should be fine. You could glue it all up with epoxy to be extra sure.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yup! Epoxy would have been my go-to so that's good to hear. I'll probably just check the joint again once I do the final dry fit and make the call then

20160908_225054.jpg

20160908_225104.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with the mortises on the legs so I filled them with some scrap pieces cut to size (with matched grain direction), moved them in another ~1/16" and went over to a local guild members house to recut them on his hollow chisel mortiser. After those were done, I cut a 3/8" grove in the legs and rails and cut a rabbet on the back of some 1/2" sapele ply for the panels to ride in the groove. I blew out the back of one of the legs when I got a catch in the router bit as I cut the groove but it won't affect it in any visible or structural way so I am just leaving it. 

Next step is to mortise the lower 4 rails in to support the base of the cage and to support the shelf.

7105868432885161618-account_id=1.jpg

8046495199218861796-account_id=1.jpg

• Like 2

The ribbon is going to look great with finish. Sapele is a wood i want to work with more. I was surprised to find out how it is actually less expensive/same price than walnut. How an imported hardwood from half a world away is cheaper than a tree that grows in my backyard is beyond me. Supply and demand baffles me at times. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Making good progress so far.  if you haven't already,  you should really take the terrarium occupancy into consideration and the temperature and humidity needs while you build.

if I remember correctly,  Beardies need a temperature gradient between 105° and 80 or 85°. to get that heat,  you'll either be using a ceramic heat emitter or flex watt/herp mat style heat pad. #1 is a better basking source but will  turn your enclosure into a non gradient oven with how tall  your roof is. There also may need a fan built into the cold side to draw fresh cool air into the cool side, not from the hot side. That may mean cutting out half of your end piece on the cool side and replacing with vents a bit at a time.  flex watt should really not be considered unless you use it in the wall and have insulation to keep the plywood from delaminating and failing. 

Both heat sources, lights, and thermostat probes will have cords.  plan for it early. 

• Like 1

The inside of the structure is going to be 1/2cdx with 1" polystyrene all around. There will be at least one top vent and one side vent that we will be creating ourselves like the ones I posted earlier. Since he is the lizard guy and I'm the wood guy, I made the inner cage so he is getting rolling with the foam and grout now. Once he gets it further along, we plan to meet up to better decide how to get his Reptisun, CHE and other fixtures run through the terrarium. The picture is of the test fit before he picked up the box. 

20161005_133214.jpg

Given the inside height where the che will mount,  I'll guarantee that with only two vents in the style you posted earlier; if the hot side is hot enough at lizard level, the cool side will never get cool enough. I've built a lot of terrariums and every single time, had to expose more and more to fresh air to get a proper gradient. that was also using flex watt which puts out maybe 1/4 the heat to ambient air vs a che. those literally turn any enclosure into an oven with very very little heat change over a 46" span.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Given the inside height where the che will mount,  I'll guarantee that with only two vents in the style you posted earlier; if the hot side is hot enough at lizard level, the cool side will never get cool enough. I've built a lot of terrariums and every single time, had to expose more and more to fresh air to get a proper gradient. that was also using flex watt which puts out maybe 1/4 the heat to ambient air vs a che. those literally turn any enclosure into an oven with very very little heat change over a 46" span.

Thanks a lot for taking the time, i really appreciate the insight. I have been expecting to have some good sized vents but, with your concerns, I am certainly going to insist we run it, Sans lizard, for awhile to make sure we don't cook/freeze the beardie