Bread Box

Isaac

11 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Bread boxes remain a favorite in my experience.  If the lid is easily opened one-handed I would skip the pull.  If not, definitely add one.  I would have loved some progress shots on the inlay process.  It looks great in the pics.  Is the symbol significant?

Thanks guys. I may be doing another inlay soon so I'll try to record the process, it was pretty simple actually, I just routed the recess out, taped around the perimeter with blue painters tape (including the open edges to create a pour stop). Mix the epoxy with some black dye (I used a 5 minute bob smith epoxy), fill er up and drop in the metal. For the upper narrow part symbol it was completely buried under the epoxy. If I do it over again I'll be more precise about the depth of my recess, I'm thinking I'd leave it so the metal is about 1/32 proud and then sand it down to flush. The brass sanded very easily. The epoxy is of course pretty viscous so you can mound it pretty high, and I think that is a good idea, because then any bubbles wind up in the material that gets sanded away. Other people recommend heat guns to remove bubbles, so I might try that as well.

As for the symbol, when I bought them they came as a pair (4 total pieces of metal). Confusingly, each one of these sets is the Chinese character for 'Double Happiness', and it is ubiquitous on Chinese decorations around their lunar new year. So I guess if I had installed both sets on one box, we'd be looking at quadruple happiness box, but I settled for a double. My wife's Chinese from Hong Kong, so she really appreciates it.    

1 hour ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Thanks guys. I may be doing another inlay soon so I'll try to record the process, it was pretty simple actually, I just routed the recess out, taped around the perimeter with blue painters tape (including the open edges to create a pour stop). Mix the epoxy with some black dye (I used a 5 minute bob smith epoxy), fill er up and drop in the metal. For the upper narrow part symbol it was completely buried under the epoxy. If I do it over again I'll be more precise about the depth of my recess, I'm thinking I'd leave it so the metal is about 1/32 proud and then sand it down to flush. The brass sanded very easily. The epoxy is of course pretty viscous so you can mound it pretty high, and I think that is a good idea, because then any bubbles wind up in the material that gets sanded away. Other people recommend heat guns to remove bubbles, so I might try that as well.

As for the symbol, when I bought them they came as a pair (4 total pieces of metal). Confusingly, each one of these sets is the Chinese character for 'Double Happiness', and it is ubiquitous on Chinese decorations around their lunar new year. So I guess if I had installed both sets on one box, we'd be looking at quadruple happiness box, but I settled for a double. My wife's Chinese from Hong Kong, so she really appreciates it.    

To keep the inlay from shifting around in the epoxy you just need to glue it in place before you fill the rest of the cavity. A few drops of CA glue or even hot glue will do the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Wright said:

To keep the inlay from shifting around in the epoxy you just need to glue it in place before you fill the rest of the cavity. A few drops of CA glue or even hot glue will do the trick.

That is a suspiciously simple solution, are you sure you are a woodworker?!

Seriously though, thanks for the tip.

47 minutes ago, Pug said:

I like your project, but I didn't realize people still used breadboxes.

Well, I'm not sure if they actually keep bread fresh or whatever, I just wanted something to help de-clutter the kitchen counter.

I suppose most people would just try to reduce the absurd amount of food products we have in all our kitchen cabinets, but instead I'll just keep building various boxes until I'm smothered to death by them.