Theoretical stain?

Ronn W

What if I wanted to make the grain on a small table top so that it had that maximum contrast between the more porous and less porous wood.  With the extreme limit being almost black porous wood and no change in color to the rest.  How close can I get and how would I do it? It seems to me that a tint is not the way to go and that water based stain gives more contract that oil based stain.

If you're using a light colored wood you may try taking a blow torch to it (lightly) until you reach the desired colors. Then do a final sanding and clear coat with your favorite clear coat. I've played with doing this and it is a very fine line between what you're looking for and burnt wood. This may be more trouble than it's worth. Another option is to use a die on the whole piece and then sand once it's cured. Just stop sanding before you sand away the die that was sucked into the dark grain. Marc explains his process in one of his videos. I think it was his end table with a tiger maple top?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk