Repairing a lacquer finish

Just Bob

We spent the last couple of days canning, and while we tried to be careful, there are some blush mark rings on our kitchen island.  They are either from heat or vinegar.  When we are done I am going to spray another couple of coats of lacquer.  Other than making sure the surface is clean is there anything else I should do before spraying?

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

Give it some time - the blush marks might go away on their own.  

Thanks Mike .

2 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Solvent lacquer (that is what you applied?) is not ideal for your kitchen tops for the very reason you stated. If your going to re-coat your top anyway. Spray with a good water-based conversion varnish from General Finishes. 

-Ace- 

Ace, I had problems deciding what finish to put on the island, and ended up talking with Kev @TIODS.  Kev recommended the lacquer finish just for the ease of repair, and plus it looks very nice.  I knew from the start that it would get a lot of use/abuse, and don't regret using lacquer.  I am going to come up with a storable, protective cover before the next canning marathon. 

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Thanks Mike .

Ace, I had problems deciding what finish to put on the island, and ended up talking with Kev @TIODS.  Kev recommended the lacquer finish just for the ease of repair, and plus it looks very nice.  I knew from the start that it would get a lot of use/abuse, and don't regret using lacquer.  I am going to come up with a storable, protective cover before the next canning marathon. 

Yep agree on the ease of repair...But think on this, I would not want to live my kitchen life in fear of using the surface. It's easy to repair...but how many repairs are you wanting to do?  All good, that's just me, rock on:)

-Ace-

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Yep agree on the ease of repair...But think on this, I would not want to live my kitchen life in fear of using the surface. It's easy to repair...but how many repairs are you wanting to do?  All good, that's just me, rock on:)

-Ace-

There won't be that many repairs, my wife is as picky as they come.  I am the one that screwed up and have been sent to my corner, right after I assured her that I could fix "our" mistake.:rolleyes:

• Like 1