JET 17" Drill Press Accessory

Rex Edgar

I posted a favorable review, (except for the chuck), of the recently released JET drill press. I decided to attempt to make an accessory cabinet that uses the wasted space below the table. Against JET recommendations, I mounted the DP on a mobile base. This kills multiple birds as the weight and mass should stabalize the drill. I can't but wonder why the manufacturers make the base so small, my guess is economics. Three drawers and some additional table area for drill bits an things are the object. I realize that heirloom furniture is not in my future, so. Stay within my comfort levels. Plus the idea is to get rid of some scrap wood to make room for new exotic wood. Here's how things are so far......  For some reason the pics are not in proper order.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I've seen builds where the surround cabinet was on casters and could seperate from the dp. Do the casters, in your case, make it less stable?

Casters are on a base that the DP rests on. I saw the build where the cabinet rolls away from the press, what I didn't like was the fact that the wheels on the DP itself were straight line and not swivel. I find it easier to steer if al least one set of wheels swivel. My plan calls for two large toggle bolts to secure the cabinet to the DP. I can't see a great need for drilling super deep holes, but if the need arises, I'll be able to remove the base cabinet. Of course after removing all the drawers. Every brace I add adds to the dead weight. I'll post more as progress continues.