How should I preserve this Stanley 112?

Mpride1911

In my recent frenzy of cleaning out northern NY of their vintage hand planes before the shops all close down for the winter, and I move to southern AZ, I snagged this No. 112 that I'm very happy with.   I sanded off the rusty cancer that was growing on the side and on the corners of the sole and it makes beautiful scrapes now.   My question is,  what should I do about the chips in the black paint.  I really don't want to remove any paint, or repaint at all.  I just want to protect the exposed portions.  

Additionally, I know and understand that I wouldn't have to worry about any of this if I'd have bought a Lie Nielson or Veritas.  I'm very happy with the plane that I have, and the minimal amount of work that it took to get it to where it is.

This plane is proving to be exceptionally hard to photograph, but the first pic is of a chipped paint area.  The others are of the cleaned up sole, you can see the light pitting where the rust was.

20160907_174857.jpg

20160906_191648.jpg

20160907_082251.jpg

20160907_082259.jpg

I wouldn't bother trying to address the chipping. It has developed a patina over the years and shows it has been used - on a side note some people pay Fender and Gibson $$$$ for their custom shops to relic perfectly good brand new guitars to make them look old and road worn. Just put some paste wax on it to protect from further corrosion, call it done and put it to work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I wouldn't bother trying to address the chipping. It has developed a patina over the years and shows it has been used - on a side note some people pay Fender and Gibson $$$$ for their custom shops to relic perfectly good brand new guitars to make them look old and road worn. Just put some paste wax on it to protect from further corrosion, call it done and put it to work.

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Not sure exactly how to repair the  japanning without bringing it all down and having it redone. The juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze to me but that's your call.

That's what I thought.  Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.  I wasn't sure if wax was the best way to go, but it appears it is the way to go. Thank  you.