Why to prefinish parts

Brendon_t

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

image.jpegI prefinish as much as possible.  It makes gluing easier and it prevents me from rushing the finish.  When I finish after assembly I am always in a hurry. 

I know what you mean, trying to stain or put down a top coat on an entire piece in one go can be a race against the clock. I think I need to get into pre-finishing.

When pre-finishing panel doors or mortise & tenon joinery, do you protect the tongues/tenons from the top coat or do you use a glue that bonds to the finish? I've used Roo Glue for pre-finished cabinet carcasses but it doesn't dry clear. For nice furniture projects, I've gone back to not pre-finishing because I don't trust Titebond to adhere well when both parts are pre-finished. Is there some other glue I should be looking at?

-E

On 9/12/2016 at 10:53 AM, Elroy Skimms said:

When pre-finishing panel doors or mortise & tenon joinery, do you protect the tongues/tenons from the top coat or do you use a glue that bonds to the finish? I've used Roo Glue for pre-finished cabinet carcasses but it doesn't dry clear. For nice furniture projects, I've gone back to not pre-finishing because I don't trust Titebond to adhere well when both parts are pre-finished. Is there some other glue I should be looking at?

-E

When prefinishing door panels (they are floating panels), so if you don't "pre-stain" the panel before assembly, you will get a line showing of white wood when the door panel expands and contract. If you choose "NOT TO" pre-stain or color the door panel. I have used compressed air through my air gun (blower) while staining to force the color between the panel and rail/stiles. Plus this trick helps even the color in the corners of the door panel which tend to become heavy with stain.

If your using an oil finish as your color on white wood. Same thing above applies. I always use masking tape to cover all surfaces that are to be glued while pre-finishing.  

-Ace-