Powermatic Model 14 Spindle Sander

Chestnut

Was browsing craig's list for spindle sanders. I'm interesting in buying a bench top one for my shop. There are countless times where i chuck up a sanding drum into my drill press to sand curves and I'm getting sick of doing things the hard way.

Does any one know any thing about power matic spindle sanders? http://brainerd.craigslist.org/tls/5753701829.html  I'll be in the area for this guy soon and was considering offing them some thing for this guy. I assume because it's Powermatic that it's a decent tool but i just thought I'd ask.

I've looked at those and the Wen on amazon ($105 & free 2 day shipping) looks the same as the rigid, Harbor Freight, Grizley, ect sanders. If i spend more the Powermatic appears to have a larger work surface and is probably better built.

After doing research on it there were bearing issues with it and the parts were not available (circ. 2012). I'll probably pass.

I guess my question is then are these cheap spindle sanders powered by a universal motor or an induction motor? Are they super noisy? What grits are useful on these sanders?

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've looked at those and the Wen on amazon ($105 & free 2 day shipping) looks the same as the rigid, Harbor Freight, Grizley, ect sanders. If i spend more the Powermatic appears to have a larger work surface and is probably better built.

After doing research on it there were bearing issues with it and the parts were not available (circ. 2012). I'll probably pass.

I guess my question is then are these cheap spindle sanders powered by a universal motor or an induction motor? Are they super noisy? What grits are useful on these sanders?

Noise isn't an issue with the Grizz, I can't speak for the others.

The Grizz comes with 80 (I think) for each size and other grits are available.  Frankly, I'm usually hand sanding after that anyway.

The bed has been large enough for my needs.  There's been a couple times where I wish it was bigger but, it's not often.

I like the fact that it's light enough to put someplace when not in use.  I just clamp it to my table and go.  Hooks right up to 2" hose from my FT CT or my shop vac and does fairly well.  You certainly notice a big difference if you're not using the DC.

I have the Ridgid OSS & use it with the belt most of the time. It has a universal motor but is only semi-noisy. Nothing like a lunchbox planer, but definitely not as quiet as an induction motor.

Dust collections is terrible, but I built a shroud that fits around the belt & now it gets almost all the dust.

The build is not heavy duty & it was something that, at first, concerned me. But over the years has proven to be reliable & a very good performer.

Good choice on passing on the PM benchtop sander. I saw one for sale in my area a year ago, and my research showed crappy design using crappy parts. Something about the gear that allowed for the oscillation feature was prone to breaking often. I have some cheap spindle sander off craigslist that looks like the Wen or grizzly. It works well enough, but im waiting for a nice floor model with a big cast iron table. I just dont feel like spending $800-1000 on a new floor model.